New to me Craftsman Lathe Setup and advice

masc243

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I picked up a craftsman 101-21400 and have a couple of questions. Some of this may be difficult to answer without knowing my intended purpose, which to be honest, I really don't have one just yet. New Hobby, just getting started, and want to learn.

1. It did not come with a tool post assembly. It did come with the lever quick change post and one block. Do I need to invest in a Tool Post assembly, or just add some more blocks as needed with commonly used cutters.

2. It came with a 4 jaw chuck. Should I be looking for a self centering 3 jaw chuck, or will I be ok with a 4 jaw for the forseeable future.

3. It did not come with a face plate. Again, is this something I should be looking for? How about Lathe Dogs? Will I need them?

4. It is DIRTY. I plan to disassemble to some degree. Old books I'm reading say to use Keroseen for cleaning. Is there something else I should be using instead? I originally thought I could bring to the shop and hit in bead blaster, and refinish. After reading, I'm thinking it might be best to just clean up, re-lube, and get it back together. Thoughts on this are appreciated.

5. Needs half

Welcome to the forum. We will help you out. Post some pictures. That will be a big help. Once we see what you have you will get better answers to your questions.

1. I would buy additional tool holders to fit the quick change tool post you already have.
2. The four jaw chuck will serve you just fine. It does take more time to dial in your part to be turned than using a three jaw chuck, but it will be very good experience and after you do this for awhile, you will be able to dial in a part pretty quickly. You will need a dial indicator, and I would recommend that you purchase an extra tool holder to just keep the dial indicator mounted.
3. A face plate is something that you can probably live without for a long time. Lathe dogs are nice to have if you intend to turn between centers, so you will also need lathe centers as well if you intend to go that direction.
4. Kerosene is good for cleaning up machinery. I would not get a machine tool (in this case your lathe) within a mile of a bead blaster.

Just my two cents.

Ted

1. I would buy additional tool holders to fit the quick change tool post you already have.
2. The four jaw chuck will serve you just fine. It does take more time to dial in your part to be turned than using a three jaw chuck, but it will be very good experience and after you do this for awhile, you will be able to dial in a part pretty quickly. You will need a dial indicator, and I would recommend that you purchase an extra tool holder to just keep the dial indicator mounted.
3. A face plate is something that you can probably live without for a long time. Lathe dogs are nice to have if you intend to turn between centers, so you will also need lathe centers as well if you intend to go that direction.
4. Kerosene is good for cleaning up machinery. I would not get a machine tool (in this case your lathe) within a mile of a bead blaster.

Just my two cents.

Ted
Awesome; Thanks for the response and insight; greatly appreciated.

White gas (Coleman fuel, Naphtha) makes a good cleaner and fairly mild. I use it a lot.
No aggressive mechanical cleaning, just brushes and elbow grease, especially on zamak parts/gears
Wait a while before buying a new chuck. You might want to get a collet set eventually.
Check the leadscrew and half-nut mechanism for wear. Most parts can be found on Ebay.
Learn to grind HSS tool bits if possible (requires a small bench grinder) good skill to have
Enjoy! Welcome to HM

Last edited:
Back