• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

    https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

    Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

(New to me), Ferm FTB-13 drill press clean up

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

GoceKU

Active Member
Active Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2017
Messages
512
Likes
884
#1
Today i bought this drill press at the local tool/ flea market, it was very cheap partly because of all the rust but more because the seller thought is not working, i spotted that the security tab on the belt cover was bent and knowing that i decided to take a gamble wich paid off because when got it home i straighten the tab and is working perfectly. This is a generic china made machine, i don't expect much from it, i plan to do as little improvements or modifications on it just to use it for smaller jobs. The plan now is to take it apart undo the neglect from the previous owner and found and make a holder to use it in my shop.
DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0292.JPG
DSC_0294.JPG
DSC_0297.JPG
DSC_0299.JPG
 

GoceKU

Active Member
Active Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2017
Messages
512
Likes
884
#2
Today i focused most of my free time to get this drill press in good working order, i started with disassembling it, the head come off with only one set screw, the work table also come off fairly easy the tilt nut on the table give me little fight also the three smaller bolts on the base ware rusty, first i chucked up the pipe in my lathe and used sand papire to take all the rust off whale turning i oiled it. I took the base and the table to the big garage and used wire brush on my angle grinder and my DA sander to clean them up, i could have painted the sides to remove the rust stains but i did not bother this machine is meant to be used, not admired. lastly i assemble it, use new bolts and clean the threads with a tap and put anti seize on them, and finally i tested it started with 3mm drill bit, went to 6mm no problems but 10mm drill bit stops the motor which is what i predicted so no disappointments there, i also removed the guard and travel limit because is plastic junk and will make a steel one in the future.
DSC_0285.JPG

DSC_0287.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0292.JPG

DSC_0293.JPG

DSC_0294.JPG
 
Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]
Top