new to me grizzly g4000 9x19 need tooling??

+1 on the hss. I like LMS for my mini needs. Always do some price shopping, but most of their stuff is reasonable. Spare machine parts included. You also might read their mini lathe guide. It is written on the 7 x platform, but a good read. Lot's of info crosses over. I really like the fit and finish of their Tormach wedge type quick change tool post when you get sick of shimming to center height. They also have carbide sets if you decide you need them later. Have fun.

UPDATE: These Newcomer brand parting inserts are no good for aluminum CI-218 C2, I rate them poor for aluminum. I tried several different speeds and feeds today, same result, chatter and galling, lubricant did not help. The stock coated inserts you get with the Glanze parting tool were no better really. My HSS parting tool worked best. That said the Newcomer inserts worked better than my HSS parting tool on brass, superior finish. That is all.

Your 9" lathe is way too small to use carbide on. HSS will cut with less power,and can get a lot sharper than carbide. Your lathe cannot run fast enough to take advantage of carbide's cutting abilities.

I only use carbide for facing off the cast iron face plate,as cast iron is bad on HSS. Get some HSS lathe bits and learn to sharpen them. Home shop machinists simply do not need much carbide at all,yet they seem to think it is magical somehow.

And,those cheap brazed carbide bite you can buy are really not ready to use out of the box. They need to be honed.

Your 9" lathe is way too small to use carbide on. HSS will cut with less power,and can get a lot sharper than carbide. Your lathe cannot run fast enough to take advantage of carbide's cutting abilities.

I only use carbide for facing off the cast iron face plate,as cast iron is bad on HSS. Get some HSS lathe bits and learn to sharpen them. Home shop machinists simply do not need much carbide at all,yet they seem to think it is magical somehow.

And,those cheap brazed carbide bite you can buy are really not ready to use out of the box. They need to be honed.

thanx for the tip. i will get some hss soon but just wanted something to get me going with. i have only been doing stuff with alum so far to get the hang of it.i dont have much knowledge of lathes or mills but i thought i would jump in and get one to learn the basics.

Back