New to me Hardinge TL/TLP?

HardingeSteve

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone!

I just purchased what appears to be a Hardinge TL though I am not 100% sure of the specific model. The machine has seen better days! I've been unable to find any sort of documentation for the machine and I have a few questions!

1. Should there be gears under the sheet metal cover at the rear of the machine? I have figured out how to engage the carriage but it will only move when the threading gearbox is engaged. Does it need gears in the rear of the machine for the carriage to turn during non-threading operations? I have a small South Bend 9" lathe so I am familiar with their setup on the non- quick change gearbox models. Not sure on this Hardinge though.

2. The back gear has excessive backlash and makes a lot of noise. I pulled cover plate off the back side of the machine and saw damaged teeth on the spindle gear. My guess would be someone had a habit of engaging back gear while under power. Is that gear replaceable?

3. The low/high linkage is disconnected. I believe I have the pieces of linkage and think I know how they go but does anyone have pictures of that? This

Not sure why but info on these lathes is hard to come by!

Thanks!
IMG_20210612_082729037_HDR.jpgIMG_20210612_082734049_HDR.jpgIMG_20210612_124935417.jpgIMG_20210612_120943473_HDR.jpg/TL

The numbers on the chart below the TPI are the feed rate in thousandths (it says so). So yes, the gearbox must be engaged for the feed to function, no extra gears required.

edit: Nice lathe, I've never seen one before.

edit2: Kind of funny, it won't cut anything coarser than 11tpi, 10 might be more useful.

Last edited:
Thanks Hi MrWhoopee! That helps a lot!

It sure is filthy. Every time I touch it I end up having to scrub myself clean. I think cleaning it up may be a fall/winter project.

What a cool old lathe, I've never seen one before. :encourage:

Back