New to me Index 55 (oh and new to milling)

IndyGTA

Registered
Registered
I just brought home a Index 55. The machine supposedly was used sparingly but regularly throughout its lifetime but it did sit in an open shed on the dirt for the last several years. Started cleaning it up some and blowing off as much of the repaint as I can. My plan is to get to as much of the original paint as possible and match that with somewhat closely to cover any bare metal. I don’t lan to strip and repaint. I will run it and repair what needs to be repaired.
The x axis power feed assembly is missing, does anyone know what my options are for that? I’m guessing the chances of sourcing replacement original parts are pretty slim, I’m thinking I’ll probably have to go aftermarket.
D7245542-5922-465D-ADE2-BBA1E0702CBF.jpegD7245542-5922-465D-ADE2-BBA1E0702CBF.jpeg24C7203F-DD03-48D6-8938-0AB563EE6A3A.jpeg

Nice old iron- I'm sure you can put together some type of powerfeed motor if you put your mind to it
I would do just like you and just clean it up and start using it- fix anything that comes up along the way
-M

60s Fairlane?

Nice old iron- I'm sure you can put together some type of powerfeed motor if you put your mind to it
I would do just like you and just clean it up and start using it- fix anything that comes up along the way
-M
Yeah, I’m thinking I’ll retro fit something, been doing some research and I don’t see any direct bolt on so it’ll take some creativity. as far as finishing, I have a Logan 200 lathe I bought as a basket case and spent a lot of time refinishing, not wanting to get into that again right now.

Attachments

• 4AE30FDE-5FB6-4074-AAE3-32AF8846CF3B.jpeg
    4AE30FDE-5FB6-4074-AAE3-32AF8846CF3B.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 11
I just love these things. They look so darn stout. Have a good time, and congratulations!

If the mill has a 9 B&S taper in the spindle you can have it re-ground to R8 by Wells Index.

If the mill has a 9 B&S taper in the spindle you can have it re-ground to R8 by Wells Index.
Yep, I’m cons that, it didn’t come with much tooling and it’s looking like the investment in regrinding makes sense.

Back