New to me Lagun Mill. Have questions about milling stuff!

Abadsvt

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone. I recently got my first mill. It is a Lagun 3hp veritcal mill. I have some quesitons i was hoping to figure out.

1 - I am aware on how to calculate rpm for HSS steel tooling but is there a method to calculate rpm for carbide insert tooling? I heard it is approx 2 time the speed and then if i am using cooling i can get away with 3 times the HSS tooling rpm. I thought this was way to vague. Anyone have a better formula to calculating carbide speeds for steel and aluminum?

2 - Also with HSS tooling and carbide. If your milling out a channel in the middle of a piece of steel what would you recommend for max depth of cut? I bought a bunch of good Niagara end mills and don't want to ruin them if i can. There expensive.

3 - What kind of lubrication do you guys use on the endmills and facemills? Any brands you recommend?

4 - Do you guys use different rpm speeds for side milling and plunging into steel or facing a piece?

5 - If i have to remove a good amount of steel to remove out a block i am machining can you take an extra deep cut with a roughing end mill? If so about how much more? For example. If i have a rectangle and want to machine out a "L" shape would you use a roughing end mill to remove all the extra metal or just take your time with a standard end mill?

Thank you for your help educating me!

Josh

No. 2. no more than half the diameter of a roughing mill cutter, 2 or four flute, less.
No. 3 I use Tap Magic when I use anything. Often on a small/light cut I'll cut it dry.
No. 4. Surface feet per minute regardless of type of cut.
No. 5 - use a band saw (or hack saw) to remove the bulk of the metal.

I ran a Lagun in my working life, its a good solid machine, remarkably like a Bridgeport. ]No. 1 ] I rarely had carbide to work with, (shop owned the tooling, dictated what I could use. ) So I'm not conversant with relative speeds and feeds.

Back