New to Me Lathe Need Parts & Advice

carguytroy

Registered
Registered
Hello all. I just purchased an Atlas 618 Lathe. I'm new to all of this so I need a bit of help. It's missing a couple of things mainly a chuck(4 jaw would be nice to find) and a switch for the motor to start with. Where would I find these and how do I know what fits it? It has Timken bearings. I read somewhere on here that makes a difference on the shaft size. It has one tool mount but zero cutting blades. It looks to be in great shape. Gears are good, no play in the bearings, bed looks good. everything seems nice and tight. I do need a belt to go from the motor to the other apparatus that has the handle on it to engage the head unit. I just would like to get the basics so I can see it run and then get some stuff to actually use it. I see at The Little Machine Shop they sell a kit with a quick change post, bits, cutter etc. I thought I should probably pick that up assuming it's worth grabbing to start with? Please help a new guy that knows very little about these. Only lathe I've ever run is a brake lathe and that was a long time ago, but I'm eager to learn.

Oxa tool post size is the one you want and it'll be a great upgrade for this lathe. I had one of these lathes for many years and I really liked it.

For a 4 jaw chuck, keep an eye on eBay and also check out the imports - Yanou is supposed to be half decent. You'll need to make or buy your own 1"*10tpi back plate though. Not too tricky a job if you have the gears and want to do it yourself

If you want to skip the HSS grinding learning curve, a 10mm sclcr turning tool and boring bar, plus a pack of 0604 CCGT inserts will get you started

Have a look here….

Joel specializes in Atlas parts both new as well as originals. I have a 618 as well as the Craftsman-branded version of the same machine. Depending on what you do you may find you want a larger machine down the road but for getting going they’re an okay place to start. At least that’s what I found, anyway.

Hi Troy , sounds like you do have a 618 (101.21400) it has a 1" - 10 thread on the spindle . A 6" (101.0731) has a 1"-8 thread . I have a 4" 4 jaw . Your lathe also has a Morse # 2 taper in the spindle nose so all you need are some collets and make a draw bar . A QCTP is a must IMO , I got mine from Little Machine Shop . They have this one https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3112 a little pricy , you could get one for a little less if you get less holders . What ever you get you want the OXA , I got my compound "T" nut from the bay . Another source for parts is http://www.mymachineshop.net/
The belt you are referring to (counter shaft to motor) I can't tell you how long it is because I don't know how your machine is set up , My machine takes a 3L belt .
For your switch , you have to decide what switch you want . I was able to score a stock one (after much looking) . What ever you get do not have reverse wired in . Reason , if you accidently switch to reverse , it will spin the chuck off .
Any how glad you joined , looking forward to seeing a picture and to hear of your progress . Check us out over here https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/atlas-craftsman-dunlap-aa.86/
Mark .

IMG_0834 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_1121 (1) by mark westi, on Flickr

I think "618" is an unofficial name and was never actually called that by Atlas

Thanks guys. That helps a lot. I'll post some pics and see what you think of the purchase. The motor only has two wires coming out of it. I need to investigate there if there is a third wire inside or what the deal is. Maybe if I post some pics you can help me figure out the switch part. I haven't minted anything up yet. I just found the owners manual online showing where stuff is supposed to be. Love the stand, Cross Thread. Are those legs original equipment type deal?

Yes those legs are stock Atlas , as you can see my motor set up is pretty wonky . I have limited space so I bolted the machine down to close to the wall to put the motor in it's proper space , but I'm looking into it .
A good read . http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas6inch/
Mark .

Here's a few pics of the lathe, motor etc. Excuse the mess and I hope these pics aren't too big.

IMG_0804.jpeg
IMG_0805.jpeg
IMG_0806.jpeg
IMG_0807.jpeg
IMG_0808.jpeg
IMG_0809.jpeg
IMG_0810.jpeg
IMG_0811.jpeg
IMG_0812.jpeg
IMG_0813.jpeg
IMG_0814.jpeg

Back