New-to-me Logan

herbet999

Active User
Registered
I picked up this Logan today. It looks to be in pretty good shape. Everything seems to work and I saw it run before made a decision. Sounded pretty smooth. I thought the variable speed would be more more noisy. It's 3 phase so I will be hooking it up to a VFD at my shop. The model number is marked as "VLH" which I'm assuming means variable speed, L00 spindle, and hardened bed. It didn't come with a huge amount of tooling but it does have a 4 jaw chuck, 6 jaw chuck, and a face place. It also came with the quick change gear box, spindle brake, threading dial, carriage stop, and machinist light. One thing it did not come with is a collet adapter. Not a big lathe but bigger than my little 10 inch. I'm pretty excited.

20150109_194247.jpg

20150109_194247.jpg

Pretty cool! I never knew Logan had a lathe that used an L00 chuck mount. How long's the bed? I'm going to start looking for a lathe with a longish bed that uses the L00 mount so I can keep using the existing tooling I have from my Traytop.

That is a fine looking lathe and logans have a great reputation, I hope it serves you well

Thanks all, It's 12 x 23. A little short but that's good for me with limited space in my shop and probably no need to work on any long items.

Herbet,
Looks to me you have a fine Logan on your hands. Congratulations on the acquisition. I'm sure you will enjoy it. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

Kudos on the Logan 12! I like my Logan I have had for almost 10 years [10"] They are well made and heavy duty. A 12 or 14 inch swing is great to have also. There is are a lot of Logan parts still available.

Spindle break? Where? I have had a few of these Logans and have never seen one.

Spindle break? Where? I have had a few of these Logans and have never seen one.

The handle below the start button (left side of the picture). Downward motion cuts the power. Further downward pressure applies the mechanical brake.

20150109_194251.jpg

20150109_194251.jpg

That's a really nice looking lathe.

Just wondering what sort of horsepower on that machine?

Back