New to me MFB

OK. Thanks. I have MMB-1 and MMB-3 but not the -2. So that tightens the intro date down some.

Robert D.

Last edited:
Has anyone else ever seen the chain drive? I just acquired one of these MFB mills and mine too is chain drive. I just can’t seem to find any information.

Regards all.

Derek.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There probably isn't any, as all of the mills came from the factory with belt drives. If yours already has chain drive and it was well done, I can't see any particular reason to change it back. But I have to wonder why anyone would have gone to the trouble to convert it.

Did yours also end up with the chain a little too slack? If so, there is a fairly simple fix if the tension adjustment has the enough range to let you still change speeds.

I pick it up in a couple of weeks (when the seller and my schedules align). I’ll get back to you but from the pics I have received it looks really well done. As for slack, I will let you know, and may pick your brain regarding the fix.

Derek

When I purchased my MFC there were parts included for a chain drive: the chain, a sprocket for the spindle and a sprocket for the countershaft. I don't know the story behind them and always wondered why someone would want a chain. There was only one sprocket diameter - so only one speed I guess.

OK. So yours may be a 4-speed machine if the back gears still work. 2-speed motor pulley and 2-speed back gear. The machine that started this thread had quite a few photos, at least two of which showed two sprockets on the countershaft. But none of the photos show what's on the spindle. So I can't say for certain whether or not the back gears still work and whether or not there are two working sprockets on the spindle. And I can't say whether it is a 2-speed, 4-speed or 8-speed machine.

e8a9322966d5f5fb803c7662ec7e6feb.jpg

It appears as though it will be 2 speed and that the back gears will still be operational. This pic from the seller, more to come when I pick it up.

Cheers.

22d4e1eaa31bd7c786380a4457467be6.jpg

Another pic.....

OK. 2 speeds with the chain drive times 2 speeds with the motor belt times 2 speeds with the back gears is 8 speeds total, same as the MFB and MFC were originally. Someone in Canada or the Northern or Northwester US must have done several of them. It;s rather surprising that outside of these two, no one seems to have mentioned them.

I agree, but from the pics it looks as though it has been done pretty well. Once the machine is through the door I’ll make some proper measurements and maybe even a video. Any thoughts as to what the motivation might have been? I haven’t read any post that has indicated that the original design was lacking in “torque” or that the belts slip. I’ve never used nor have I had a horizontal mill so I have no frame of reference on which to draw. Any thoughts?

Derek

Back