New to me PM1030V

r-mm

Registered
Registered
Hey all

This week I traded up from a 7x14 mini to a pretty much new PM1030V. Excited to set it up and get advice here.

First it needs to arrive at its final resting place. I loaded/unloaded with with an engine crane (first pic) and its now on a dolly (second pic). The only problem is that there is a suspension-less project car entirely blocking crane access from the lathe to its bench (see pic). I have the tail stock, compound removed. Could remove saddle I suppose. Has anyone and a few friends lifted one with no hydraulic assistance? I suppose the backup plan is the ATV jack but that won't be a walk in the park either. Before you ask: its a decent slog to get the suspensionless car on wheels or a dolly so its not the preferred technique...

Photo Dec 12, 10 56 35 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 13, 3 00 27 PM.jpg

Specs says nearly 400lbs for the 1030. I don't know how big your friends are but 4 is 100 each. That is alot of grunt. Of course, most of the weight is on the headstock end making it more cumbersome. Even lifting it up on a cart to wheel around the front of the car would be helpful. Then slide/lift it onto the bench.

My brother, my Dad, and I were able to lift my 1030v from the pallet up onto the bench top. 2 of us on the headstock side, one on the tailstock side. It is doable, but manuevering around that car might present a challenge for multiple people while holding the machine.

Thanks. To be clear I can wheel it right up to where it needs to go on the dolly I just cant get any lifting equipment and its massive spread legs in there. Maybe the three man pick with saddle removed could work.

Stripped down like this I think it may be liftable.

On my mini lathe I had an ER 32 Collett Chuck which was extremely useful. Can anyone recommend a Collett Chuck for this machine?

IMG_8568.jpg

I got my collet chuck from PM. Very nice 5C. It has the Tru-Adjust feature meaning you can dial it in to near perfect. I like it and use it far more than I thought I would. You need a set of 5C collets. Each collet doesn't cover much of a range so it takes a lot of them. The alternative is to buy one as needed. I got my set by 32's also from PM. They are quite accurate. @ the small end you need by 64s! Really nice to be able to grip threads w/o harming them.

Thanks. To be clear I can wheel it right up to where it needs to go on the dolly I just cant get any lifting equipment and its massive spread legs in there. Maybe the three man pick with saddle removed could work.

It sounds like a good excuse to get one of the Harbor Freight hydraulic carts, they have a 500lb for $179 or 1000lbs for $279 and I'm sure they go on sale frequently (HF is always having a sale).

HF hydraulic table

Stripped down like this I think it may be liftable.

On my mini lathe I had an ER 32 Collett Chuck which was extremely useful. Can anyone recommend a Collett Chuck for this machine?

View attachment 347347

You know what I have never seen that seems like it would be really handy for the Chinese lathes with flanged spindles? A threaded adaptor that fits onto the flange, 3/4"-16 would allow the use of the many Sherline and Taig accessories, and 1-1/2"-8 is very common on smaller vintage lathes, so there are a ton of accessories for this thread.

It probably wouldn't be that hard to make one, and you could use a locking pin if you were concerned with running the lathe in reverse. It would open up a lot of options, run the flange for the things you can find for it, run the appropriate thread where you can't.

Last edited:
I purchased from one of the perveyors of machinery we see spoken of here (I forgot which one) an ER40 collelt mounted on a plate and from PM an adaptor for that lathe. The two together work well. Its the same adapter that comes on thier chucks supplied with the lathe.

Back