New to me SB Mill, need options for tooling

It should come out with perhaps a whack with a soft hammer., With my drawbar style, a whack is needed to dislodge them.

The setscrews are not for holding an end mill, but rather they hold the collet adapter into the 30 taper spindle, I hoped that the name on the adapter might give a clue as to what collet it uses. There was another quick change system made by Universal, called Quick Switch, maybe same compamy made both, perhaps a favorite search on E bay may find you some pieces or info.
This is what u r referring to?11D3F223-784B-4768-BBDC-0CDB5DF3B4C9.png

I like the 30 taper spindle because it does not require nearly as much vertical clearance to exchange tool holders as compared to R-8, plus the positive drive with the driving keys that do not shear off like the R-8 tiny pin up in the spindle bore. Both my Fray vertical and my #2 Brown & Sharpe horizontal with vert. attachment use 30 taper in the vertical mode, and with a adaptor, I can use the 30s in the #40 horizontal spindle.
I backed out the set screws to see if the tool holder would fall out. It stayed put. I gently tapped it, but it stayed. To get it to drop out do I have to give it a sharp wack with a small hammer? Am I missing something here? A clamp lever?

I backed out the set screws to see if the tool holder would fall out. It stayed put. I gently tapped it, but it stayed. To get it to drop out do I have to give it a sharp wack with a small hammer? Am I missing something here? A clamp lever?
There would have been a lever/spanner to tighten/untighten the collet, yours looks like the operation was mostly done with a hammer.
Yes, sharp whack with small hammer, perhaps brass or copper.

so I bought the following to get started. It has a 3/4 Collett so I thought a 3/8 and 5/8 would be a good match. Also bought a small set of Shars end mills, as from what I read, my learning curve may result in some abuse of tooling until I get a feel for speeds and feeds.

Any advise/opinions are welcome!

0D3FCBBB-65DE-497B-9DAE-A391D3AA04F3.png3EC68CAD-C755-416E-9B77-3D057CED69B5.png

just bought a 1/2 inch DT collet to round out my set.
someone mentioned a mail change mill holder . I found this. Does 300 mean 30 taper?
What would this do for me exactly? Eliminate unscrewing the chuck?
5CDE163C-DD17-4E98-9054-51607CE17AE1.pngYou

The tool shown is used in the Universal Quick Switch holder, the lugs both tighten and eject the tool when the nut is operated, it would not work with your mill without the holder made to work with it.

Back