New to the forum and new to machining.

Mr.Galt

Registered
Registered
Hello all!
I recently picked up a 1943 South Bend heavy 10 single lever gearbox and 3.5' bed. It came with a telescopic taper attachment and a tail stock. I just got done rebuilding it which amounted to cleaning, painting, and re-wicking it. All parts were in very good condition. I am currently installing a vfd and a digital tach. I am currently looking for a 5c collet adapter for the spindle.

The cool thing about this lathe are the two tags I found when I removed the old, thick paint. One brass tag says "This machine conforms to the standards of the U.S. War Dept." and the other stainless steel tag says "U.S. War Dept. Chicago Ordinance Dist."

Sorry if this is in the wrong place and thanks for putting together such a nice forum!

Hello and welcome aboard! Sound like a wonderful machine you picked up, perhaps when you've a chance maybe share a couple pics?

Welcome to the forum and have fun. Sounds like you have got a nice lathe there.

Thanks guys!
I will take some pics tomorrow. My lathe is at work where it was easier to clean and repaint. I don't mind making that kind of mess there (of course I clean it up). This lathe has the bell bottom under drive that is common to that era. Also, the lathe has a "factory" sink drain in the chip pan for the coolant tank that was mounted below it some time ago. I didn't repaint it in its usual colors but did it justice with a "Crown Dark Gray" with gloss black accents.

Welcome! I'm running a 1940's lathe and also one from the 1920's. You will like the collets and the VFD.
Yes, photos, we want photos..... Thanks :encourage:

welcome to the forum!
there are lots of folks to help out if you have questions!
i can't wait to see the SB.
i have a Wartime SB too, always happy to see another saved

Here she is! One other thing I forgot to mention is that every single shaving and chip I found lodged inside her was brass. I wonder what she made for the war effort? Also, I was working on machining the back plate for the 4 jaw and forgot to take it off for the pic.
SBL.jpegORDINANCE DIST.jpegWAR BOARD.jpeg

Last edited:
Back