New Toy, er Tool

Fanuc control?
Yup, Fanuc OT.

It may get a DC_CNC control in the not too distant future. Just depends on how I like the Fanuc control and if it has the capabilities I want.

That should have all of the capabilities that you might need I suspect, reading the manual is a different game.
3 axis or do the live tools move in a 4th?

Hey. I know a guy that would love to learn what he can about the Fanuc OT lathe control.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/index.php?threads/62021/
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When I get it figured out I'll give you the Readers Digest version, that could take years.:rolleyes: If it gets too complicated, I may just hang my own controls on it. A day or two to install the controls and a couple weeks of software debug. Need a lathe test bed for my software anyway.

You should enjoy the flexibility of such a machine, I suspect that you will begin to wonder how you got by without a C axis and live tooling in the past.

You should enjoy the flexibility of such a machine, I suspect that you will begin to wonder how you got by without a C axis and live tooling in the past.

I may be wondering how I have gotten along without a CNC lathe at all. I have never actually even seen one run except in videos.

Jim,
cant wait to see more of your creative ingenuity once you get her home and running. Best of luck on the road and do keep us posted.
Paco

One of the tools we used in production involved a a rather short metric (about 3/8 diameter) screw connecting two pieces. One of the pieces was constantly breaking, so we in the tool room started making them, (this was in the early 1990s in Ohio) Rather than putting a metric thread in the new part we put SAE threads in the new piece and made a combination metric/SAE connector. We had a Mazak lathe about the size Jim just acquired. I made about a hundred screws, 3/8 24 on one end and metric whatever on the other .560 long, one setup, cut off, finished. They were still using them when I left in 2000. I can't remember just what the thing was, it was surely cobbled together.

Back