[4]

New Toy, er Tool

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
CONGRATS JD! What year is on the badge?
Looked at it today, 1989, A bit older than I thought

And a few more pictures

All unwrapped and ready to offload
1508036099060.png

Forklift tire needs a little air. 10,200 lb on a 8,500 rated lb forklift. :eek: Didn't even grunt, picked it right up. Just lifted it up, pulled the trailer out and set the lathe down to air up the tires
1508036330969.png

The pucker factor was high at this point :eek 2:
1508036602218.png

Well, it's inside the shop. Now we just need to figure out where we want it. Going to be somewhere around where my son is standing (on the right) We cleaned out a big hole in that area, but still trying to figure out exactly the correct position. For now we just moved it closer to it's final position and sat it down. Need to leave enough clear area to get a truck in the door. I think we need a bigger shop.

We made four 6 x 12 x 3/4 steel pads to set the feet on, need to spread the load on the floor a bit. This lathe has four really nice jack screws for feet and proper fork pockets for handling. Makes installation much easier.

1508037592796.png

Over the next week I plan on getting it powered up. I need to study the schematics to see if I can make it run on single phase. The drives are all DC servos so there is a good chance I can pull that off. Three small VFDs will run the hydraulic pump and coolant pumps.

Bobbycoke

Registered
TOY or TOOL I am a nubie here but want to express my hate of the calling of our tools "toys" I feel a toy is something that gives you pleasure but is otherwise useless .......where as a tool gives us pleasure [wheither looking at it or using it] but it can make or repair something.......maybe it's just personal when my lovely wife says "oh rob just got a new toy" the hair goes up on the back of my neck , of course I say "Yes Dear" happy wife=happy life............49 years of marriage ..........must be doing something right!........bobbycoke

Wreck™Wreck

Silver
Former Member
I glanced at the manual, it appears to have CSS as a standard software feature which you will truly appreciate down the road.
Appears to have the typical canned cycles which make programming simple parts a breeze.

This little piece of advice from the manual is precious.
i-HF5nHSf.jpg

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
My shop is full of toys, they give me pleasure, just sitting there, (no value, whatever) and when I'm running them. I make nothing I sell, so there's no profit in running them, other than the satisfaction I get from being constructive.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well I was wrong on the servos, turns out they are AC servos, so my single phase idea is not so good. Time for a RPC.

I just happen to have a couple of 15 HP air compressors sitting here that are brain dead, but the motors should be fine. So one of the motors is going to become a RPC.

I'll get the motor extracted from the pump and be off and running. Be making chips sooner than I thought. :)

1508110840733.png

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
IT'S ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!

I haven't updated this thread for over a month because we haven't had any power to the machine. I've been fighting with a rotary phase converter, have a new motor in route. Nothing has gone right with that project. :mad: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/another-rotary-phase-converter.63204/#post-520986

So we rented a 25 KW, 3 phase generator to power up the lathe. Got everything connected, checked out the voltage and flipped the 100 amp main breaker on the lathe......... Which immediately tripped. o_O No sparks or smoke, just a tripped breaker. So grab the multimeter and check for shorts, everything looked fine. I thought a transformer was shorted, but that turned out not to be the case.

Of course I don't have any detailed schematics of the electrical system so spent a day tracing wires. It turns out that the lathe has a safety system that I have never seen before. The door safety switch is wired into an auxiliary trip on the main breaker, so if the switch is not open, power can flow to the aux trip, and instantly trips the breaker. It took a few hours to figure that one out.:confused 3:

But the lathe is alive and well and all of the parts seem to move as they should. No nasty noises. So now we just need to learn how to use it, we have two large binders of instructions to wade through. :faint:

So this weekend we'll get the machine in it's final position and play with the controls to at least get some understanding of how it all works. Hopefully the RPC will be up and running in a week or so. I was able to get some current readings on the lathe, and it looks like the 15 HP RPC will be just fine, proabaly could have gone with a 10 HP. For the most part it is drawing about 7.5 amps with the spindle running unloaded. Max reading I saw was 28 amps on spindle acceleration 0 to 3000 RPM, and the spindle load meter was reading 150% during accel. We're not going to be working the machine very hard, so we should be in good shape.

Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to post some pictures or a video in operation.

D

Deleted member 34477

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Congratulations Jim, at least you know the machine works. Looking forward to seeing some positive progress.
Turn and burn!
Paco

T Bredehoft

Active User
Jim, you're makin' me wish I was in Oregon so I could help you play. Alas, I'll watch you and be happy.

Wreck™Wreck

Silver
Former Member
Many machines also have powered door locks, a solenoid locks the door shut when the machine is on. If you have it running and can not open an access door this is likely the reason.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Made a little progress. We go the machine moved into it's final position. Had to rent some machinery skates to move it the last couple of feet. No room to get the forklift in there and didn't have any pipes to put under it. Using a couple port-a-power pucks we were able to lift it to get the skates in the forklift pockets and pinch it over the last little bit. Got it leveled and almost ready to make chips.

My son has been learning how the controls work and was able to make an air cut. It didn't crash the machine so life is good. He ran a few test ''cuts'' at dead slow speed until he was satisfied the everything was OK, then cranked it up to operating speed. A bit scary to watch it run. One minor problem is the high pressure coolant pump, it's stuck. But that's a minor issue, easy to fix.

This represents a face off, turn OD, change tool, make a small profile cut, part off. Then index again, grab the bar in the chuck, pull it out to stage for the next part. Maybe next time we'll use real tool holders rather than plastic blocks representing tool holders. :grin:

brino

Active User
Maybe next time we'll use real tool holders rather than plastic blocks representing tool holders.
Yup, it's smart to do baby step until the machine and the operators know what the other will do.
Great progress, you will be cranking out parts real soon.
Congrats!
-brino

Wreck™Wreck

Silver
Former Member
Do not be afraid to push such a lathe way harder then you think prudent from past experience, that is a robust machine well beyond what hobbyists are accustomed to. I wish that I had such a machine today, ran 25 aluminum parts in a Bridgeport/Romi 2 axis lathe, 7" X 3 1/4" long saw cuts ending in 70% metal removal, the chips were nearly unmanagable.

Set it up and let it eat, you will not be disappointed.

Wreck™Wreck

Silver
Former Member
Take this for what it is worth, the guy that services our machines was in to replace a brushed DC servo motor in a lathe this week.
His belief is that leaving the motors holding position when not in use, during lunch for instance, will shorten their life as they are under power yet not rotating. He recommends E-Stopping the machines when not in use yet powered up, (not having just paused a running program of course) this does make sense for there is no reason to have it hold position if not required, would also reduce electric usage.

However I do not know if an E-Stop will disable the drives in all machines as it does in this one, you may want to check if it does on that Hardinge.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
I'll check that out, thank you.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
And another update. We finally got the lathe powered up off of the RPC. That was about a 3 day job to get it wired in. Started off with replacing the shop breaker panel. After looking at things we decided that there weren't spaces available so we went from a 16 circuit to a 24 circuit panel. Made life easier.

So here is the lathe
1514333001835.png

We put the RCP motor up on the shelf to get it out of the way.
1514333065414.png

And the RCP control panel
1514333117265.png

I'm pleased with the voltage balance. 239 (incoming), 237, 239, 236. Incoming power is running 1.4KW with the lathe powered up and the spindle running unloaded. Max system load seems to be about 9.5KW with the spindle at 150% power on accel. What I find a bit odd is the incoming power is 11.8 amps, but the 3 legs of the 3 phase are right around 20 amps. I guess the PF correction is doing its job, glad I added that. The incoming power reads about 25 amps with the PF correction out of the circuit. These numbers verified by my Fluke clamp on. Everything seems to run OK.

1514333423697.png

Now comes the real fun, the insert holders will be here tomorrow. We'll be making the first chips.

:dancing banana:

T Bredehoft

Active User
Jim I'm afraid you're gonna turn into a turning junkie, looking for all the jobs you can take on with that spinning device. I wouldn't blame you a bit. I wish...well no, I don't but it sure would be fun. I made twenty nose bushings for a rubber band aircraft today, stock 6160 alum 3/8 OD, .530 long, drilled though .0635, nose od .130, .500 long, cut off. Two minutes a piece. With your machine they'd be done in less that the time it took me to set up a turret lathe.

brino

Active User
Jim, I bet you and your son are just dreaming of the parts you'll be able to produce on that.
Great progress!
-brino

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jim, I bet you and your son are just dreaming of the parts you'll be able to produce on that.
Great progress!
-brino
We have one part in particular that takes about 40 minutes on a manual lathe primarily because of tool changes and setup, we figure about 4 minutes on this one.

Also one of my customers is having some trouble manually producing a part, this lathe would be perfect for that part also. I think it would run about 100 parts/hr, at about a buck apiece. They normally run about 1000 at a time. I'll be talking to him again next week. :)

[6]
[5] [7]