New Ultra Small DRO just installed

I recently purchased the three axis version of these DRO's from DRO Pros. I'm going to be installing them on my Grizzly G0761 machine (milling). Looking for any advise on the install. It appears that the included mounting hardware really won't work for my application. Which means I'll probably be fabricating mounting hardware for the read heads. At least the scale hardware looks like it won't be any issue.

Does it matter if the read head is what moves on the axis? I ask since on two of the three I think the read head will move where the third (the X IIRC) will be stationary and the scale will move (on the table for the longitude travel).

I have a set of metric drill bits and taps coming (should arrive tomorrow due to Amazon, so I'll be able to start Sunday).

Pics of the machine these will be going onto:
IMG_20190804_154640.jpgIMG_20190804_154649.jpg

These are going to be my first DRO install on my first milling machine. :) I had a lathe in the past without any DROs. I plan to get a lathe again (the old one was just a 7x14) when I have the room for it. To put the mill where it sits, I had to relocate my 14" bandsaw and 12 speed floor drill press to the back room of the garage/basement. The mill needed to go here since that's where I have two 240 outlets (30amp breakers feeding each one).

It makes no difference which one moves.
Keep us up to date on your project with pictures of course. Best of luck.

Chuck the Grumpy old guy

@ch2co Good to know. I looked over all the mounting kit items DRO Pro's included. None will work for me. Luckily I have a decent supply of aluminum pieces on hand to use to fabricate the read head mounting hardware.

Drilling the back of the table, the fixed section, should be interesting. I might need to pick up a 90 degree adapter for my hand drill to get in there. The Y axis should be pretty easy since I can move the table to the other side and get decent access.

Since they sent me a 10", 20" and 30" scale, I plan to use the 30" for the X, 20" for the Y and then cut down the 10" for my Z. Unless I decide that 10" is enough to cover the movement of the Y in which case I'll only need to cut the 20" down for the Z. Of course, that does leave me with plenty of "spare" scale pieces (sans mounting ends).

Now I need to get some more tooling in order to cut down the aluminum closer to size before machining it up. I hope to at least get the scales mounted on the table this weekend. Since I might be able to locate the adapter for the drill at one of the area stores. ;)

Just placed the order for the R8 slitting saw arbor and a few blades. Amazon put delivery tomorrow. So I could be working on the brackets tomorrow too. :)

BTW, getting the almost 650# milling machine (plus another 100# for the stand) was interesting. Used a 2 ton shop crane to get it out of the back of my truck (UPS Freight won't go to my home) and then into position. I had help from two friends for most of that. Getting the threaded holes in the stand lined up with the matching holes in the mill base was interesting too. Especially since the ceiling in the garage is less than 7'. Once lined up, I then proceeded to get some grade 8 bolts to secure it together. Thought I'd need 6", but those were too long and ended up with 5". Bad part about the 6" is they only have 1" of thread. If they had 2" of thread, I would have used them. Then I would be able to have washers and nuts on the underside (on the ends of the bolts). As it sits, I used washers and lock washers to make sure the bolts wouldn't work themselves loose on me. I plan to periodically check them to make sure they're still tight (tight tight tight!).

Last edited:
Ummm.. usually, what you are doing, is called hijacking. The original poster (known as OP) has posted a thread on "New Ultra Small DRO just installed" showing his progress on this project. It is considered rude to come in and interject one of your own very different project. The idea is that comentary should conform to comments pertinent to the OP's build thread. And it really helps persons well INTO THE FUTURE WHO ARE READING AN OLD BUILD THREAD LOOKING FOR INFORMATION NOT TO HAVE READ THROUGH COMMENTARY THAT IS NOT PARTICULARLY RELEVANT OR THAT HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH THE TITLE OF THE ORIGINAL THREAD. In short, the customary courteous answer is to Begin Your Own Thread.. don't clog up someone's build thread. Just sayin'.
On the the other hand, good luck with your project and start a build thread and keep everyone informed (that's the why one starts a build thread!)
New Ultra Small DRO just installed”
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/all-about-metrology-measure-setup-fit.106/post-thread

This setup seems like a good option for the mini lathe folks among us.
Pointing at myself :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back