New v42 10F

your dial looks nice but how are you going to engage the power cross feed? It doesn't look like there is enough room.

Yes I am going to number the dials. I have a new set of stamps on the way. I still have to make the compound dial while I wait.

I made a new shorter and slightly smaller knob for the power crossfeed. I also changed the spring for a slightly softer one so that it easier to pull out. When I get a chance I am planning to convert to a lever action.

I must say that the most handy tool to have while rebuilding an old lathe is another working lathe.

I too built the lever style control. It was from the Project in Metal books. Worked great. The cross feed engagement knob can be reduced in length if needed. I left mine long in case I had to remove the lever assy and still use the lathe. Note the larger dial on the cross feed. Lever in the down position - power cross feed is engaged. About 3/8" of travel is all that is required.
Pierre

The-3-Components.jpg New-Crossfeed-Knob.jpg Crossfeed-control-installed.jpg Crossfeed-Control-Assy.jpg Block.jpg

do you have a drawing of the dial. Or can you take pic's of the parts and how thay moumt.

do you have a drawing of the dial. Or can you take pic's of the parts and how thay moumt.

They are just two 2" disks 1/2" thick with a .99 hole. Each is tapped for an 8/32 screw. The stationary piece gets a set screw to hold it to the nose (?) and the dial gets a set screw to hold it to the old dial. Simple and easy. And I had a piece of 2" stock with a .9 hole to start with . It used to be something else ???
IMG_2570.JPG

HWF

IMG_2570.JPG

Ok thanks. I am going to make one for my cross slide. 1 1/2" dia with 200 graduets for derict reading.

Finishing up dials
IMG_2572.JPG

Quicky jig for stamping numbers
IMG_2576.JPG

Finished !
IMG_2592.JPG

If I didn.t have plenty of time and if this was not a hobby ,these dials would have been too much work. Probably worth getting from Tallgrass.

HWF

IMG_2572.JPG IMG_2576.JPG IMG_2592.JPG

If I didn.t have plenty of time and if this was not a hobby ,these dials would have been too much work. Probably worth getting from Tallgrass.

But then you wouldn't have the satisfaction of having made them yourself. And they look very sharp! The jig was a great idea too.

Terry

Back