Newbe!!

Caleb85

Registered
Registered
hi all! Names Caleb im from NW Missouri and getting into building bolt rifles. Looking to buy a lathe (hopefully soon). Got $1000 cash so far and counting. I have 5 years of machining, 4 years non Union boilermaker and 12 years Union boilermakers. Any advice is welcome.

I say all more specific questions if you need answers. I'm not sure if your asking for a lathe that cost around $1K or just letting us know.

Welcome to the forum Caleb. This is a great place to learn. You can get different prospectives in how thing are without arguing. There is a lot of knowledge here & they realise there is a bunch of paths that all lead to the same outcome. They also remember that they all started out knowing nothing at one point so they don't look down on anyone. I hope you enjoy it here.

No I am definitely not looking for a $1000 lathe! Lol we have a gunsmith that is getting out due to health reasons and I am going to try and buy his when he is ready, it's a 12/40 grizzly. Was just wanting to be apart of a forum to where if and when I had questions, I could get answers.

You came to the right place Caleb.......Welcome Aboard......Thanks for Joining.....
****Gator****

Welcome, Caleb. You've definitely come to the right place. You'll get sound advice and positive comments from this group.

I've done a bit of hobby-smithing (if I had to make a living at it, I'd starve) using my Grizzley Combo machine- 12 x 36 Lathe / Mill. Proof that you don't need a ultra-powerful machine.

You will do just fine with a 12 x 40 machine.

I went back to our site policies about post regarding other forums and found there are rules against making disparaging remarks but not on making positive recommendations. A few that I frequent are Homegunsmithing .com, Mausercentral.com and Accuratereloading.com
All three have some excellent, experienced folks who, like our members, are helpful and offer constructive ideas to solve real-world problems.

Last edited:
If anyone knows where a nice used 36"-40" lathe is at a nice price let me know ;). I would also like some ideas on where to put it. I live 7 miles from town on 300 acres, I will not be able to get it into my basement but I have a 60'x100' shop and the front 60'x40' is concrete but is not heated. ( I use it for our garage, I have a 15x25 overhead door in the front)

I went back to our site policies about post regarding other forums and found there are rules against making disparaging remarks but not on making positive recommendations. A few that I frequent are Homegunsmithing .com, Mausercentral.com and Accuratereloading.com
All three have some excellent, experienced folks who, like our members, are helpful and offer constructive ideas to solve real-world problems.

Mentioning or linking to other sites is fine. We don't have all the answers here.;)

I will not be able to get it into my basement but I have a 60'x100' shop and the front 60'x40' is concrete but is not heated. ( I use it for our garage, I have a 15x25 overhead door in the front)

That is a nice sized building. If it were mine, I would build about a 15x20 room in it with an 8 foot ceiling to use as the machine shop. Insulated, heated, and air conditioned. Put in a sliding door in the end to get your machines in. I wish I had that much space! :encourage:

That is a nice sized building. If it were mine, I would build about a 15x20 room in it with an 8 foot ceiling to use as the machine shop. Insulated, heated, and air conditioned. Put in a sliding door in the end to get your machines in. I wish I had that much space! :encourage:

That was kinda what I was thinking!

Wish I had that option. I have to finish building the house tho before I'm allowed to build anything else.

Back