Newbie and what size lag hole is in PM935 or other base?

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
First time poster and new member. I have read a number of posts and appreciate everyone’s threads, thank you! I couldn’t find in the manual PM935-PM949 the size of the holes in the base for lagging it down. Anyone? Thank you in advance!

What are others in terms of lagging their mill to the floor or not, what did you do for leveling?

I found it another post, 5/8” works fine given that the base is threaded 3/4”

3/4-10 is correct. My 935 is just sitting on the concrete floor with a sheet metal shim on one corner because of imperfect concrete. Never had it move or skate around. Maybe I'm losing a touch of accuracy not having it bolted down perfectly level, but I don't think I'll ever find out.

Thanks all! I might consider trying to get it lifted off the ground somewhat. I am 6’-2” and hunching over just kills my back.

Also, does anyone use a cover over their machines when not in use? I am working on a 63 Corvette Split Window and time to time I am either cutting on it with my die grinder or sanding fiberglass. Either one has been known to launch fine dust particles in the garage.

I cover both my lathe and mill with old bed sheets the wife gives me. Thin enough to breathe, yet keeps the nasty stuff of them. Cheap too. :)

I'm 6'3" and a friend built me a stand for my machine that lifts it about 5-6" IIRC. This really helps as I have a lower back that grumbles if I have to stoop for very long.

I cover both my lathe and mill with old bed sheets the wife gives me. Thin enough to breathe, yet keeps the nasty stuff of them. Cheap too. :)

I'm 6'3" and a friend built me a stand for my machine that lifts it about 5-6" IIRC. This really helps as I have a lower back that grumbles if I have to stoop for very long.
Do you have a photo of your stand or link to a posting with the photo?

I'll throw out another consideration. I cant anticipate what kind of load your mill would possibly encounter that you would fail four 1/2-13" studs rated at 60,000 psi each. However what a slightly smaller diameter rod or bolt like 1/2" will give you is assembly wiggle room. I wouldn't underestimate the PITA factor of this because the mill will be elevated when you have to marry it to whatever via casting base holes. If 1) you make your base holes too close to larger 3/4 stud 2) the casting hole pattern is not exact (as many offshore machines are especially on non-critical things like this)' or 3) you have just a smidge of distortion welding up your frame if holes are pre-drilled... you may discover through collective tolerances the base wont fit the bolt bolt pattern. And much cussing may fall upon the Land. I went with 1/2" studs & slightly larger clearance holes in my frame for this reason. Slightly larger diameter washers take care of the rest.

I'm actually mystified why the casting holes are threaded on the upper side of the mill base to begin with. The only thing I can think of is it must be easier for them to insert bolts from underneath through the shipping crate base, or...? If anyone has a good answer I'd be interested to know.

I bought some 5/8-11 threaded rod to use to tie down to a frame.

Back