Newbie looking for the right lathe for Gunsmithing

The indicator I show with the spider is an Interapid 312B-1. Expensive, but reliable and repairable. The Compac 215GA would be another good choice. There are Asian-made clones here but these are not repairable, and if you drop it, it's junk.

I lucked into an Interapid 312-B1 with all the mounting bits for $90. Best money I’ve spent on an indicator.

I lucked into an Interapid 312-B1 with all the mounting bits for $90. Best money I’ve spent on an indicator.
Same here - found mine on eBay about 6 years ago for about $75. You have to know how to evaluate condition or you will waste your money.

How wide is that torsion box on your stand? Is it a rectangle tube or a C-channel or?

It is a 10" 20# channel the lathe sits on, the rest is 3"x2"x 1/4" Rectangle. Davids plan called for different material, but I keep this on hand at the shop, so I used it. It is overkill, but it is solid. I had sketched up several plans of my own for the new lathe, but came across Davids design and liked it better than anything I had come up with. I appreciate him posting it.

3x2x1/4 will give that stand some beef, that is for sure.
Are you going to repaint the lathe Case orange so at least it will look like a Case? ;)

Off topic but do you own a V35B? I have a little time in one. Mostly A36 though.
Had a friend killed in a V35B years ago.

3x2x1/4 will give that stand some beef, that is for sure.
Are you going to repaint the lathe Case orange so at least it will look like a Case? ;)

Off topic but do you own a V35B? I have a little time in one. Mostly A36 though.
Had a friend killed in a V35B years ago.
Maybe on the Orange...J/K, not happening.

I had a V35B, now I have a B36TC, much better ride.

Maybe on the Orange...J/K, not happening.

I had a V35B, now I have a B36TC, much better ride.
Very nice.
The dutch roll on the V-tails was always odd. Have about 400 hours in an A36. Loved that bird.

I think you would be pleased with a 1340GT. I got mine last month, and have been happy so far. PM has been good to work with, they are responsive when needed. I have not had a desire to fire up my old lathe since I got the new one all tuned in. David B also has a great plan for the stand, I built one like his with a couple of small mods. When I ran the bar test to get it running true,it was very easy to adjust and level while standing on your feet. I don’t have a pic with the lathe on it.

View attachment 351450
Do you have the dimensions for your stand?

Back