Newbie question about blank HSS tools

iron1951

Registered
Registered
When Hawkeye welcomed me to this forum, he recommended that I start to learn by using HSS cutters. Thats the route I am going to take and have been getting my grinder in shape. My question, "Why do HSS blanks come with an angle on the ends?"

Anthony

I actually prefer the HSS bits on my 7X10, It is too small and doesn't develop enough power to exploit the carbide tips expense and finickyness(?). Once you get good at setting up custom bits you can do all sorts of different profiles and surface treatments. A hand sharpened HSS bit will cut as well or better than a comparable carbide and can be ground to profile pretty darn quick for about 2 bucks a pop. Carbide too holders are 40-50 each and the bits range from really cheap to 30-35 bucks a piece for some of the exotic ceramics and sintered carbide specialty bits with chip breakers and different rake angles. Too many possibilities for me to order and try to keep up with, especially on a tight budget too. Hope this helps, and there is also a great sharpening video by MrPete222 on you tube that shows the what, why and hows in great detail and depth. Enjoy the new machine, they are a blast.

Wheelchair Bob

Anthony,

Get yourself some low carbon steel square stock to practice on. It's a lot cheaper than HSS and easier to grind. Once you get the hang of it then switch over to HSS and grind some real tools.

Tom

I think they come with an angle profile to get a reference of where to start the shape/relieve. I found an old Armstrong brand tool holder for a lantern type post that I use to secure the HSS tool bit while grinding. The 3/8'' straight type tool holder has a square headed bolt that can secure the bit far enough out to give stability and to keep hands away from the grinder and also give you a better view of what your 'e doing. Plus you won't burn your hands when the bit gets hot. I also found a cheap adjustable angle ruler and a hardware store that can be used figure out the necessary angles needed for making a threading bit. Grinding bits is a matter of trial and error. Depending on material, the shape and relieve will change. There are some decent videos on you tube you can view to get an idea of what can work for you.

Back