Newbie time: HSS indexable inserts or Diamond Tool Holder?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As I'm getting my first-ever lathe, a Heavy 10, restored I'm slowly buying what I need to get up and running when the lathe is completed. I know grinding toolbits are something every lathe owner should know but for a complete lathe newbie I was wondering about other options to get going.

There are HSS indexable inserts available, like from LMS, and have gotten good reps from what I've read. The obvious benefits apply (no grinding, easy to index a new edge, etc). Then you have tangential holders like the Diamond Tool Holder. Again, mostly good reps from what I've read.

If this is a no-brainer for you experienced guys then forgive me because I don't see it. Please explain what would be a better way to go for a newbie and why. Thank you.

I think the diamond tool holder is a great way to go albeit it's very high initial cost out of pocket for the tool holder and grinding fixture. if you can get past this initial cost, this would be a great tool to have as the bits will be cheap to get long term and you can get a LOT of use out of each one of them with a quick touch up here and there.

I will probably make my own once I find the material for it at some point, and for now I simply use HSS tool bits which I sharpen and shape on my own which is a good skill to have, and not that hard to acquire. I am personally not a big fan of disposables in general, and unless you are in a high production environment where you might not want to invest time in sharpening and just rather swap and get back to work, I think getting a resharpenable tool bits is the way to go

Splat

Why not try your hand at making your own diamond tool holder.
I made one a yr or so back, and was a design from FarFar (Niels) a member here. If you search my posts, you should find the build on it. Though mine isnt the easyest to build, its a hell of a stout design. Worth looking at. Also some pics of it in the shop made tooling that I started some time ago.

I use mine on my big Sidney Lathe, and have no problems with the tool bit slipping down, and mine was made to take 1/2 HSS bits.
Great tool, but way to expensive to purchase, but cheap if you make it yourself. Mine was a chunk from the scrap bin.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/6005-Shop-made-tooling

Its here, post 4, scroll down a bit

Splat: Learning to grind HSS knives is not that hard. At some point you'll need a tool that you can't buy. On the steam engine I finished awhile back the oil grooves on the piston are .010 wide and .0005 deep. Took five minutes to grind a knife. I'm relatively new to metalworking and find it easy to make my own knives. MrPete222 on youtube has a three part video on grinding knives that was my teaching aid. The nice thing is the second you start cutting with you're new knife you'll know if you did it right or it's time to regrind. I use a 4 inch vertical belt sander and a Sear"s grinder and I touch up knives with a hard arkansas stone. Good luck which ever way you decide to go, I'm sure you'll have fun. Roger

While I think that HSS inserts are probably nice, and the diamond tool seems to work well for everyone, I'd still encourage you to study and learn to grind your own. You will have virtually infinite choices in profile and all the angles involved in making cutting tools. Plus you will learn what works and what doesn't. I do think it's a bit of a cheat, but there's nothing wrong with taking shortcuts when you can. But this is a hobby, so time isn't everything. Learning has value.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a newbie too. I have experimentd with soldered carbide, Indexable carbide and HSS. The art of stoning the HSS tools is a little more difficult to learn at first, but once you understand the angles and exactly why they are used, you can make a bit in no time at all. On the smaller, lower HP machines carbides are sort of overkill. They are really for higher speed higher production purposes and do not do as well in small depth of cut situations. Carbide also chips and damages easily (think glass) and results in a good bit of waste. So I would tend to go with hand ground HSS, indexable HSS, Indexable carbide and then the more expensive adjustable tool holders and bits. The first and most usefull change you can make is to get a Quick Change tool post and learn to use it effectively. Once that is out of the way then the sky is the limit when it comes to tools and bits. "If you can imagine it, you can make it." I hope this helps get you started on your tooling quest and helps you save a buck or two along the way. I did it all wrong and had to go back and buy the correct stuff later on so I could do basic work and learn some of the required skills.
Bob

Sorry for the DP, but there is also a booklet about operating some of those mid sized lathes that is excelent. The exact title escapes me now, but it is a well thought and illustrated guide. LMS also has a 4 hour DVD by a fellow named Jose that really delves into basic ops and describing all of the various functions and capabilities of these smaller lathes. The vid is directed at the HF 7X series, but has a lot of usefull info for all lathes too. If you can catch it on sale it is a good investment. Mrpete also does an expose' on tool grinding on you tube and offers a larger than life learning aid to help with tool and bit design. Well worth the price for those too. The 7X group on Yahoo is a pretty good store house of basic info on smaller lathes and discusses tools and bits at great length. I have been a member there for a few years and they do a great job addressing your question in a well moderated informative manner. Hope this helps.
Bob

Back