Newbie With A Question

jackaldrich0

Registered
Registered
Hello, my name is Jack, posting from California. I'm not really a machinist *yet* but I want to be. My background is mostly in woodworking, but I know how to use a hacksaw and a file too.

Currently I'm taking classes in mechanical engineering. I like all the math and science but I want to learn how the "real world" works too - so right now I'm taking physics and chemistry, but also a SolidWorks class and a MasterCAM class. I've done a little drafting and modeling before so I'm pretty comfortable with those programs.

The reason I'm here though, is that since I'm in the MasterCAM class, for the next 16 weeks I have access to a huge beautiful Haas 3 axis CNC mill, and an equally huge and beautiful CNC lathe (and the expertise of a professor who knows how to use them).

I've always heard that a lathe can build itself - I don't have a lathe, but I have access to one that's bigger and better than anything I'll ever be able to afford myself, and I have lots of extra time in my SolidWorks and MasterCAM classes because I usually finish the assignments early. I could use that time to work on physics homework, but...

Are there plans for lathes out there? Could I use that extra class time to model parts for a lathe and cut them? Or would this be an exercise in futility and unnecessary expense? I'd be aiming for something like a mini lathe, maybe a 7x14 or so. I know those can be had relatively cheap, but for me a big part of the fun is in doing it myself... That's why I'm interested in machining in the first place.

I'm sure if you did an Internet search you could come up with lathe plans. However.... I suggest that 16 weeks might be a bit short to produce even a simple lathe given that in addition to that work, you also have your other classes to attend to. Keeping you grades up in physics and chemistry is more important right now than building a lathe. You might discuss this with your professor, and see if he will allow you to make the design a graded assignment in SolidWorks. There is nothing like an end goal to learn how to use a program like SolidWorks. Once you have a solid model of what you want, and have worked out the engineering details, then see how much time you have left to actually do the build. Maybe there will be time next semester to actually do the build as a graded project if a class is available that will fit your class schedule.

Best of luck!

You have mighty big aspirations for a man of your expertise level. We must all learn to crawl first, then walk, before we can run. Your enthusiasm is refreshing, but you can't skip the first 2 steps. Learning basic skills first are a must for success. Now with all the words of wisdom out of the way, go out and buy a mini lathe and start making chips. There is nothing like on hands experience.

Welcome to the forum. I was always told that a milling machine was the only machine that could make a copy of itself.? I guess if you use a lathe as a mill.... and these days, you can take the job straight to the 3D printer, Space X is making rocket engines with 3D printers, and holding tolerances that were difficult to do with normal machining methods.
Making a complete lathe even a small one does seem like a little much to do in the time frame the you have, especially with Chemistry and Physics classes on the side. Where are y0u taking these classes? You sure could get started by making the larger and more difficult parts that would be hard to make later with smaller machines, but doing ANYTHING is better than doing nothing unless it gets n the way of your other education.
As fer as the walkin before crawlin thing goes, I'm in my 70's and STILL crawling. But my mother always told me that I was a slow learner. ;)

Good luck and keep us posted
CHuck the grumpy old guy

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the site!

As mentioned above your enthusiasm is refreshing.....and the last thing I'd want to do is dampen it.

My advice, excel at your classes; especially the MasterCAM class. Take every opportunity to go beyond the class requirements. Talk to that professor about your interests and ask for extra projects.
Do they need some help maintaining the shop space?
Do they need some CAD or machining help with a research or upper-year project?

Immerse yourself in it while you have the opportunity.
The more people you talk to and work with the wider your exposure to machining of all kinds.
And who knows, someone there may just have a project machine they have put aside that just needs a couple parts rebuilt and some TLC.

Good Luck!
-brino

I recently graduated college after losing my last career.
I stopped 2 classes shy of a minor in chem, and also almost took a minor in physics as well. I did pick up a BS in math and molecular genetics.

Not sure what you college is like, but most universities treat freshman physics as a junk weed-out class. All science majors are required to take it, no one wants to teach it, so it just turns into a time sink mostly supported by TA's. My university has a big time physics department, and the intro classes were horrible. Freshman (general) chem is very demanding for most students. I consider gen chem more difficult than O-chem. The learning curve is extremely steep. I tutored chem, along with math and bio, and the worst chem students where almost always the ones that had high school classes on par with AP classes.

You have two classes here that will be major time sinks, and possibly major effort to get through on top of core classes for your major. I suggest you take a longer term approach to the whole project and plan to complete it over the course of about 2 years. Talk it over with the instructor for your class. If he is not an adjunct prof, he should be able to write an independent study program for you. Go the whole distance with it. Study the history of the metal lathe, how the manual lathe progressed through the years, and how manual machine differ in basic operation to a CNC lathe. Try to hook up with other students that might be able to help with the project, and have the parts cast from iron. Trust me, you will have no trouble spending a year on research and development before you actually start making lathe parts.
In the end you will have something worth the effort. A nice letter of recommendation, and a far better understanding of what the difference between engineers fantasy about the world, and the real world.

There are plans online for home made lathes. They are all meant to be made with not much more that a drill press, and are far from ideal. You are better off making a copy of something already in production. You should also make it bigger.

I'm sure if you did an Internet search you could come up with lathe plans. However.... I suggest that 16 weeks might be a bit short to produce even a simple lathe given that in addition to that work, you also have your other classes to attend to. Keeping you grades up in physics and chemistry is more important right now than building a lathe. You might discuss this with your professor, and see if he will allow you to make the design a graded assignment in SolidWorks. There is nothing like an end goal to learn how to use a program like SolidWorks. Once you have a solid model of what you want, and have worked out the engineering details, then see how much time you have left to actually do the build. Maybe there will be time next semester to actually do the build as a graded project if a class is available that will fit your class schedule.

Best of luck!

I agree. Unless your project is the only one I am afraid you will end up with a bunch of parts. I worked for awhile as a Lab Tech for Speed School at U of L, Ky. Just as soon as I left for what I thought was a better job Cincinnati Milacron Inc. donated a complete CNC shop to the school. (Just my luck, the job I left for lasted three years due to apprenticeship shutdown)

Personally depending on what your future plans are some would look for a good machine that can be upgraded to a CNC lathe you need. There are many owners and programmers that should be able to help reach that goal.

We are not against you or your goals, learn all you can, take advantage of the professor's skill level. Ask him what his projects are and offer to be his assistant. If I was young and healthy again I would jump at a chance to learn CAD-CAM.

Hi Jack,

One more thing. For your research on building your own lathe, check out the lathe book by Dave Gingery.
He uses the charcoal foundry from his first book and little more than a power drill, files and scrapers to build his lathe.
http://gingerybookstore.com/MetalLathe.html

I realize that you are talking about building one with CNC machines, however many of the same concerns apply.

I got the entire set of his books, just to read for the techniques; I do not intend to build any.....
http://gingerybookstore.com/MetalWorkingShopFromScrapSeries.html

-brino

I have a small bench top lathe I made when I was about 14 years old as a "get out of jail" project with my dad. I used the Unimat lathe as a pattern out of a magazine to make the lathe from. The only similarity is the two round rails the Unimat has. I later drew up plans for the lathe in high school drafting class. Still have the plans, the only problem is they are drawn up on 36" x 60" Vellum paper. I have no way to shrink them down easily. Do have a print shop in town that can scan them, but it would be costly for me to do so.

I have a small bench top lathe I made when I was about 14 years old as a "get out of jail" project with my dad.

What a wonderful "punishment". Very wise parenting.
I bet you remember more about building the lathe than why you were in his bad books.
-brino

Back