Newbie With A Question

What a wonderful "punishment". Very wise parenting.
I bet you remember more about building the lathe than why you were in his bad books.
-brino

Bad books? What bad books.. Those didn't even come in the picture back then... Yeah, I can almost recite the steps I took making the lathe today!!!! And that's been over 40 years ago..

I have a small bench top lathe I made when I was about 14 years old as a "get out of jail" project with my dad. I used the Unimat lathe as a pattern out of a magazine to make the lathe from. The only similarity is the two round rails the Unimat has. I later drew up plans for the lathe in high school drafting class. Still have the plans, the only problem is they are drawn up on 36" x 60" Vellum paper. I have no way to shrink them down easily. Do have a print shop in town that can scan them, but it would be costly for me to do so.

I am impressed. I assume your college doesn't have a print or photo shop on campus. I used a blue print machine as part of my GE apprenticeship. Not a bad machine if you can stand the ammonia vapors. Keep up the good work.

I am impressed. I assume your college doesn't have a print or photo shop on campus. I used a blue print machine as part of my GE apprenticeship. Not a bad machine if you can stand the ammonia vapors. Keep up the good work.

The local college may have some of that stuff here, I'm not aware of it. My old co-worker is head of IT for the college, I could get a hold of him and see if any of that exists. I doubt it. Our college here is devoted to business and nursing only. We do have a print shop in town, as I said before, they can scan the drawings for me and they have "old Betsy" in the back room they can fire up and make blueline copies for me, too. It's just as expensive, too! It would quicker and easier for me to put it into cad than anything, but at the moment, I'm fairly busy. Don't know when I would get the time to do it. I'll see if I can find a picture of the lathe and post it.

The local college may have some of that stuff here, I'm not aware of it. My old co-worker is head of IT for the college, I could get a hold of him and see if any of that exists. I doubt it. Our college here is devoted to business and nursing only. We do have a print shop in town, as I said before, they can scan the drawings for me and they have "old Betsy" in the back room they can fire up and make blueline copies for me, too. It's just as expensive, too! It would quicker and easier for me to put it into cad than anything, but at the moment, I'm fairly busy. Don't know when I would get the time to do it. I'll see if I can find a picture of the lathe and post it.

Take pics of the drawing and send them to the OP. He is after all in school to learn this sort of thing, and converting a drawing to CAD is a good project. It only has to be mostly legible.

Back