Newcomer saying Hello

Concizat

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
thanks for allowing me to join.
As the title says, I'm a complete novice to metal turning although I do have a wood lathe which I soon tired of, mainly finding useful things to make on it apart from bowls etc.
I've always been fascinated by lathes and recently took the chance to buy a metal lathe from a deceased estate, complete with all the usual tools etc, at a very reasonable price.
I haven't yet used it, just to switch on and check everything is working Ok.
I've been spending my time re-arranging the garage to accomodate the ever growing list of tools and also will put up a separate shed tp store the gardening stuff, also, watching all the great You Tube videos available.
My first endeavour, once I've practised a bit will be to make some extension slides for, another of my hobbies, Scottish Small Pipes, to allow diferent keys to be played.
Must say I'm looking forward to reading all the back postings on here, and I'm sure I will have questions to be asked before long.
best wishes to all, Ian

Welcome.

Most of us on the far side of the pond have forgiven you for what King George did to us 250 years ago. :)

say, could you please post up a picture of your new toy and tell us what it is?

Thanks ChazzC,
isn't it great that we can communicate with people all over the world and get a reply in seconds

Yes, and quickly get answers to questions. It’s also nice to find folks that are nearby and who you never would have met otherwise.

Charlie

say, could you please post up a picture of your new toy and tell us what it is?
Sure can Karl,
It's a Perfecto, a British copy of a Myford from around the 1960s.
This photo is as I received it.
The motor was fitted wrongly but I've managed to find a photo online of an identical one showing the correct way.

Attachments

• Perfecto lathe 2.jpg
    Perfecto lathe 2.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Perfecto 1960.jpg
    Perfecto 1960.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 30
Cool. I know there is a Myford forum, or user group, that is based out of GB. Try to look it up.

Back