Newest Addition!

Too bad on the power feed problem. Mine is older but in perfect condition and I love that power feed. I converted mine to a floor model.
Aaron

Nice work!
Thanks !
My only complaint is that you are moving too fast! :)
I have machines that have been waiting a decade for that kinda of attention.
I'm sure that it will slow down in a little bit, I'm trying to figure out what to do with the power down feed gears!
Naturally that big worm gear is fairly expensive.

Usually, my projects are more like you described & take a while to finish!
This Kalamazoo 816 Bandsaw took a couple of years to finish.

I also have an ongoing 13" South Bend Turret Lathe Project that's currently on hold until I get some machining done for the quick-change gearbox & the spindle pulley bushings.

Doug

I've been really happy with my Powermatic 1200. I don't have the power downfeed, but with the head unit there's little to go wrong, they're tough and well-built machines. I'm jealous of your table mount and its minimal amount of oopsies- mine came from a high school voc ed shop...

AGCB97
Even though yours is older, does it have roughly the same style power down feed unit?
It's been a while since I had the cover off, but the outside of the unit looks the same and the front panel also.
Aaron

Here's a pic

DSCF3970.JPG

It's been a while since I had the cover off
Well then maybe it's time for a maintenance inspection. :mechanic:

I realize this is a big favor to ask, but would it be possible for you to check inside the power down feed unit & see if there happens to be a part# visible on the large worm-gear. I'm also curious if the original gear is brass/bronze or cast-iron?

The one that was damaged in my unit is cast-iron & the drive worm is steel!
Normally a steel drive worm gear is matched with brass/bronze gear in gearboxes.
Judging by the lack of yellow paint on the main gear in my down feed unit, I'm guessing it was replaced at one point.
Damaged Worm Gear .JPG

Naturally theses gears are not cheap!
I'm just trying to verify the gear if possible.

Doug

Well then maybe it's time for a maintenance inspection. :mechanic:

I realize this is a big favor to ask, but would it be possible for you to check inside the power down feed unit & see if there happens to be a part# visible on the large worm-gear. I'm also curious if the original gear is brass/bronze or cast-iron?
Doug
Doug
I think I can do that, but it won't be till later in the week. Mine is located in my annex which is unheated, and we have a few nasty days coming up. I also am booked with things to do in the next 3 days. The end of the week looks much better. I'll let you know.
Aaron

I think I can do that, but it won't be till later in the week. Mine is located in my annex which is unheated, and we have a few nasty days coming up.
Thanks Aaron, that would be great!
I'm not in any hurry, I still need to mount the electrical encloser & wire up a new potentiometer to the VFD. The end of the week looks much better.

Mine is located in my annex which is unheated
I can understand that!
I have a 35.000 BTU propane furnace that came out of an old travel trailer that I use to heat my garage only while I'm out there.
It works ok to take the chill out if it's around 30 degrees, but lower than that it can't keep up.

It's even been unusually cold here in Southeast Michigan. :cold:
The weather here looks better next week also!

Doug

Doug
I see you're in Warren. My MIL lives on the west end of the Pontiac airport. We'll be down there in about 3 weeks.
Aaron

Back