Next project: Craftsman 101.07301 6" lathe

The iron handwheels finally came in from China "but" they were toy model car rims. They said "oops" and refunded my money. After cleaning up the lead screw it really looks good. The gears is missing the gear that goes on the lead screw.

Attachments

• 20200222_165138.jpg
    20200222_165138.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 38
LX Kid,

We are still waiting on the machine serial number and any other info you want to include.

Judging from the nameplate you showed, the serial number should be stamped into the top of the front way near the right end. It may have letter(s) prefix and/or suffix to the digits.

Although I am working on one, it won;t be ready any time soon. But Atlas or Sears never did an exploded view parts manual on the 101.07301. So from Downloads get the 101.07301 parts list that we do have plus download the 1950 version of the Atlas 618 manual. Much of it is the same except for part of the headstock. and part of the countershaft and the bed and legs. In particular, the Lead Screw and Feed Gear assembly is the same. As it originally shipped, the 101.07301 had five gears and one spacer installed on the machine plus another 9 gears and two spacers loose. The five on the machine were a 64T in the Back position on the lead screw followed by a spacer on the front position. The other four gears were another 64T, a 48T, a 24T and a 20T. This was set up for 0.0048" feed.

Here is the serial number on the bed. It didn't have any prefix letters just the number. ( # 21745 ) Still checking things out one component at a time. I did notice the spindle has some play in it and hope nothing serious. Maybe next day or two I'll get to cleaning and checking out the headstock.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but that serial number is 186,486 higher than the next highest that we have (30965). From which I have to conclude that either the 2 or the 1 is either a letter or a scratch. At your convenience, please post a close-up photo of the number.

Sounds as though you are making some progress.

On the spindle looseness, one mistake that you don't want to make is trying to reduce the running clearance by tightening the fillister head screws that secure the bushings. About the only thing that you can accomplish is mangling the slot in the screw head or breaking the casting. Last time that anyone checked, Clausing still stocked the two bushings. If you ask when you place the order, they will now ship via USPS Pri Mail, which will be cheaper than UPS's 1 pound minimum. You can probable find a replacement for them locally but will probably have to shorten them to make them fit. FYI the bushings are sintered bronze (AKA Oilite), not solid brass. They should come pre-filled with oil and you do not need to add a hole in them to let the oil from the cups (SAE 20 or ISO 68 ND) through. That is the second mistake that many make.

Here's a poc. The last number may not be a number. Hard to say.
20200302_120925.jpg

Your serial number is 21745. Note that the scratch following the "5" does not look anything like the "1" in position 2 (no sign of there ever having been a _ at the bottom for starters). Best guess is that it was made some time in 1947. This is based on the serial number and the assumption that War-time production was higher than after the War.

Not to hijack the thread, but where does my serial number (6L 025448) put my lathe (also an 07301) in the production years?

A rough estimate would be late 1951 or early 1952.

Oh no something is missing!!!! The half nut mount! I could have sworn that I had it but but have looked everywhere.

Attachments

• 20200302_130746.jpg
    20200302_130746.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 32
It would appear that you probably do. Your 3rd, 7th and 8th photos are all show the carriage in place on the bed and the lead screw installed. The only way that those photos could have been made without the half nuts and the half nut guide being present would be to remove the lead screw, remove the half nuts and guide, and reinstall the lead screw without the half nuts and guide being present.

Be advised that when Atlas changed (widened) the half nuts from M6-12 to M6-12A they also changed (widened) the guide from M6-13 to M6-13A, According to the two 618 parts lists, That happened between 1945 and 1950, So unless the old and the new half nuts are the same size, you should have bought a new guide with the new half nuts as they are not interchangeable.

Back