Nibbler Table

R

Robert LaLonde

Forum Guest
Register Today
Alright. Why isn't this a commercial product? Maybe it is and I just didn't see it.

Usually you see guys on YouTube video justifying the value of their Harbor Freight (or other brand of nibbler) by cutting sheets held floppily in the air or off the floor. That seemed to me that unless you are particularly well coordinated or had a lot of practice to be a "rough" operation. Now I'm pretty good with a table. I can do carving with one if I have to. I think that's partly because I can have two hands on the work piece if need be, but also because the work is fully supported. Why not with a nibbler?

Ideally the punching action should be reverse for a table mounted unit, but if its made height adjustable I see no reason it wouldn't work with the current range of power nibblers on the market.

I'm going to make one. Small 8x12 table for now. Probably with a heavy angle on one edge to mount in a vise, but if it works out well I have considered making a table as a leaf attachment for my table saw to support even large stock. (Warning! Wood working content.) I already have a leaf extension for my one of my routers that works out better than a small router table or even a small shaper table.

The only other thing I can think of to make it easier to use and manipulate would be a foot valve for air or a foot switch for electric.

I would note that this is not an original idea. I have seen atleast one home made nibbler table on YouTube. I thought of it, but I was definitely not the first to do so.

That is an interesting idea. For me the nibbler and sheet combination is a pain and is avoided as much as possible.

I think it basically makes it a miniature punch press.

The quality of the nibbler makes a huge difference. I got the biggest capacity one made, a Modern Gobbler. It has a wheel on the back to keep it running level. You know I'm an apple grower, an apple bin with a 3/4 plywood on top makes a great table. Then space the steel off with 2 inch lumber. I'm all set up with a fork lift from the sheet steel storage to slide it on the table.Capture.PNG

This set up makes cutting steel up to 1/4" or AL up to 1/2" as easy as my better half cutting dress patterns out of a bolt of cloth.

Just another way to skin this cat.

PS I bought this at auction for a tiny fraction of the new MSC price, above

Nice looking machine. I may just have to get one. My price is only $1178.56 by the way.

I bought a nibbler that fits in a drill. I had low expectations, but was mighty impressed when it arrived and I tried it out.
https://dabdeal.com/products/nibbler

Cheap Chinese tool, but works pretty well. Cuts 0.125 walled hot rolled like butta'.IMG_0553.JPGIMG_0554.JPG

Last edited:
I have a ketts shear type that I've used and really like , I bet the nibbler mounted like your talking would be great for small curves and scrolls cut out of sheet metal . With a nice fence even straight cuts usually done in a jump shear . Good idea HF air model on my Xmas list .

The quality of the nibbler makes a huge difference. I got the biggest capacity one made, a Modern Gobbler. It has a wheel on the back to keep it running level. You know I'm an apple grower, an apple bin with a 3/4 plywood on top makes a great table. Then space the steel off with 2 inch lumber. I'm all set up with a fork lift from the sheet steel storage to slide it on the table.View attachment 248830

This set up makes cutting steel up to 1/4" or AL up to 1/2" as easy as my better half cutting dress patterns out of a bolt of cloth.

Just another way to skin this cat.

PS I bought this at auction for a tiny fraction of the new MSC price, above
Man I bet that sucker is noisy cutting 1/4" plate. Save the plugs for reloading , good home defence round 1 1/2 ounces would do the job.

I've got a UniShear with a 48"+ throat in the shop waiting on me to go through it and a Libert with a 36" throat ready to come to the house. I'll just butt some shop tables up close when it comes time to work anything too big to hold.

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I had the same idea for my sabre saw. I cut 1/8" steel sheet all the time and like the OP I like to have two hands on the work. So I fabbed up from 3" angle and 2" channel scrap a small table that I clamp to my welding table. I also use a HF foot switch as I don't want to let loose to try and shut it off. I've also made a bench mount for one of my die grinders which has REALLY come in handy. As you can see, I'm a big proponent of stationary over hand held for certain tools.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back