Nice surprise on my new 728VT --

mneblett

Registered
Registered
A small but very welcome change: the square head on the draw bar is now a hex (11mm). I have an 11 mm ratchet-head wrench that I never use (seems nearly everything on BMW motorcycles is 8, 10, etc.), so it's found a new permanent home on the mill. :)

Also, I noted that the DRO is a different model from the ones seen in the PM website pics and manuals (my initial perception is it is an upgrade) -- good thing #2.

The timing of the arrival couldn't have been better: I finished the last initial adjustment to my new 1030 lathe Monday, and Tuesday at 5 PM the good freight fairy dropped off my new 728VT w/DRO. I finished the mill assembly on the stand this AM and started cleaning off the oil, which was not nearly as bad as I was expecting -- no Cosmoline-like "stuff" on it. Another good thing with the latest mill.

Now I have to finally bite the bullet and decide on a set of end mills!

Over the last 5 1/2 months while waiting for the mill I've been gathering indicators/stands/other bits I'll need, but the dizzying array of cutting tools has my head spinning.

I'm the sort that don't like to buy "cheap" to only be disappointed with short-lived tools, but trying to figure out what brand is ok (without going off the deep end wasting money on something I don't need) and what isn't has been surprisingly hard. About the only thing I'm sure of is the $15 Amazon/eBay sets are probably not my best bet. ;). FWIW, my initial needs are limited hobby stuff -- projects using aluminum and mild steel. Any suggestions are welcome!

Any American made brand will be OK, likely Chineseium will not.

The last group of HSS end mills I bought were from Korea and they has been spectacular, the carbide end mills I use are from Titan USA out of the Springfield, MA, area.

I've gotten new/like new USA end mills from Craigslist and Facebook Market Place , the later was listed as " drill press bits" looking at the picture I saw end mills , taps and carbide burrs , for $50 met the woman in fast fo0d parking lot and after looking everything over I gave here $60 , she was happy and so was I

Back