[4]

No excuse not to make an er32 chuck for the lathe

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

mickri

Registered
I am just about finished with the tool holders for my norman style qctp and already realize that I am going to need more tool holders. Can you ever have too many?? I see an add on Craigslist for a company selling some 1018 crs 1 1/4" x 2" flat bar. Stop by and it is a CNC machine shop trying to sell their drops instead of sending them out for scrap value. Owner asked if there is anything else I could use and I mention 2" to 2 1/2" round bar. Takes me over to another rack and there is a 6" long piece of 2" round bar 1018 crs. That will work and he gives it to me no charge. They had a lot of other stuff that I can see would be useful for other projects down the road. And at less than $1 per lb fits nicely in my budget. The shop is in Visalia, CA. 1130 E. Acequia Street.

I now have the material. No excuse not to start making it.

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Looks like you found a GREAT source. Congratulations!

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
So howz it coming mickri? :)
Looking forward to seeing how you go about it.

mickri

Registered
Hope to get started the middle of next week. Halligan142 has a nice video on making an er32 chuck for a lathe that I intend to follow. I have watched it so many times that I think I have it down. Have lots of other things that I need to get done too. I am going to finish the first batch of tool holders for my norman style qctp before starting another machining project. I will be using these tool holders to make the er32 chuck.

dtsh

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Having done this myself just recently with ER40, I found it quite handy. It's not 100% complete, but it's at a stage where it's usable. I used it today in fact to turn a brass bushing for my Brunton-style pocket transit. The making of the chuck was pretty straightforward. For getting the 8-degree taper just right, I set the compound as close to 8 degrees as I could and once I was close to size I kept checking the fit of a collet and tapping the compound between cuts until the dye on the collet showed full contact.

Tozguy

Active User
dish, I did mine that way too. But it left me wondering if the collet taper changes as it tightens and whether we should allow for that.

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I have a threaded spindle and the ER40 set.
I bought some 4” cast iron, “dura bar” for the mounting plate. The trick is to bore and cut the 1 7/8 8tpi internal thread.
Will be watching your project

rgray

Active User
I usually set the compound with a sine bar for things like that.
Can be set off the extended tailstock ram, or better off a ground test bar between centers.

mickri

Registered
This is how I intend to make the chuck. First I will figure out how long it needs to be and cut the work piece a little longer. Then I will drill/bore a hole, probably 3/4", all the way through. Next I will bore and thread one end to fit the 1 1/2 x 8 tpi on the spindle. I will then mount my mt2 er32 chuck in the spindle and set the compound to match the taper. Then the work piece gets screwed onto the spindle and I will cut the taper. Last will be cutting the external threads for the collet nut. This is just my general outline of the process. I didn't include every little step.

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
that place sounds like a great find! Next time you're there, ask if they have some 2" or larger hex bar, then you can make an ER32 collet block. Super handy things. I made an ER25 collet chuck for my Atlas 618 out of hex and I've used the "hex" aspect of it on the mill way more than I expected. Even drilling 2 holes in a rod 180deg from each other is made so much easier with it. Plus I didn't need to mill flats for a spanner :)

BaronJ

Brass
Registered
dish, I did mine that way too. But it left me wondering if the collet taper changes as it tightens and whether we should allow for that.
No ! The collet taper does not change when tightening, only the bore diameter will alter to grip the workpiece.

mickri

Registered
Got started today. I cut the 2" OD round bar to length this morning. That was fun with a hacksaw. Took awhile. This afternoon I was able to face off the rough cut from the hacksaw and got the center hole drilled to my largest drill which is 3/4." Hoping to start Monday boring the center hole to its finished ID of 1" and then bore the headstock end to the minor diameter of the 1 1/2 x 8 tpi. That's the progress so far.

mickri

Registered
Looked up the minor diameter. The range is 1.365" to 1.390." Since I tend to be oversize on the holes that I bore I will shoot for the 1.365 which should keep me within the range of minor diameters. In the Halligan142 video he said to make the thread a little sloppy on the fit because the chuck should seat on spindle and not on the threads. Is this correct?

BaronJ

Brass
Registered
Hi Mick,

Yes that horizontal flat area behind the threads is where you want the best possible fit. The threads only hold the chuck on, its the register that sets the location.

[6]
[5] [7]