No gloves with lathe and mill....need citation

Just to clarify. These are the kind of gloves I'm taking about.
View attachment 442513
They are so thin and easy to rip it's impossible to be pulled in by them. If we still disagree that's fine.

We can all make excuses to do the wrong thing. It just takes self discipline to do the right thing.

Nothing is impossible and this is the type of thinking that will get you hurt.

My long blond hair was thin snd delicate and still wrapped around a drill chuck and wanted to pull me in.

Luckily I only lost a few strands vs getting properly scalped. Never in my days did I think my hair would be close enough to the chuck for this to happen, thought it was impossible as it was tied up as well as could be.
Now that's frightening. I've seen pictures or girls hair caught in machinery or some sort (usually carnival rides) and they were literally scalped....to the point you were looking at the skull bones.

*shiver*

Nothing is impossible and this is the type of thinking that will get you hurt.

My long blond hair was thin snd delicate and still wrapped around a drill chuck and wanted to pull me in.

Luckily I only lost a few strands vs getting properly scalped. Never in my days did I think my hair would be close enough to the chuck for this to happen, thought it was impossible as it was tied up as well as could be.
I wear the nitrile gloves when working the machines, they tear like tissue, just there to separate my hands from the solvents and oils.

I truelove get what you are saying and where you are coming from, in my world long hair, beards, jewelry of any type, synthetic clothing which melts when exposed to chemicals, overly loose clothing, shoes which do not have STEEL toes and real leather uppers, etc...

In my world, we are deadly serious about PPE and the do's and Don't of safety. We veiw gloves as PPE and stress choosing the proper glove for the task, offshore they are actually required and on the drill floor there are plenty of things which can suck you in, in the blink of an eye. Our solution is training, lots and lots of training and daily safety briefs. We train people to not put their hands where they do not belong. simple things like a water proof hatch in rough seas will take your fingers off so do not grab the damned thing by the edge, grab it by the handles or the dogs. Or, if the rag gets caught in the spinning equipment leave it!...

Now that's frightening. I've seen pictures or girls hair caught in machinery or some sort (usually carnival rides) and they were literally scalped....to the point you were looking at the skull bones.

*shiver*
Years ago we had a fella on the farm, not ours, that was using an auger on his tractor to drill a post hole and had his teenage daughter laying on the auger boom to ad weight to drill in hard ground, her hair got caught in the auger gear box and it completely decapitated her before she could cry for help.

*shiver*
Nah, it will just pull off.

I’m like a ninja.

I wear the nitrile gloves when working the machines, they tear like tissue, just there to separate my hands from the solvents and oils.

I truelove get what you are saying and where you are coming from, in my world long hair, beards, jewelry of any type, synthetic clothing which melts when exposed to chemicals, overly loose clothing, shoes which do not have STEEL toes and real leather uppers, etc...

In my world, we are deadly serious about PPE and the do's and Don't of safety. We veiw gloves as PPE and stress choosing the proper glove for the task, offshore they are actually required and on the drill floor there are plenty of things which can suck you in, in the blink of an eye. Our solution is training, lots and lots of training and daily safety briefs. We train people to not put their hands where they do not belong. simple things like a water proof hatch in rough seas will take your fingers off so do not grab the damned thing by the edge, grab it by the handles or the dogs. Or, if the rag gets caught in the spinning equipment leave it!...
Different environments, different rules.

We fought for over a decade to stop mgmt from making us wear gloves and sleeves while operating rotating machinery.

I fought them at every turn.

We finally got a new boss who was shocked at what the company was (trying) to force us to do.

Next thing you know there’s signs up and 12yrs of protocol went out the window.

Now it’s no gloves, sleeves, long hair, jewelry.

None, full stop.

The nitrile thing went out when a guy got a loose cable strand poke through his glove and spear him through the palm.

It was ruled (truly otherwise) that the glove played a part in him not being able to untangle from the swinging load.

The company is going to dodge, hold an investigation, find Blame regardless.

I feel it’s up to me to keep me safe after watching this BS merrygoround for the better part of. 40yrs.

Last edited:
Different environments, different rules.

We fought for over a decade to stop mgmt from making us wear gloves and sleeves while operating rotating machinery.

I fought them at every turn.

We finally got a new boss who was shocked at what the company was (trying) to force us to do.

Next thing you know there’s signs up and 12yrs of protocol went out the window.

Now it’s no gloves, sleeves, long hair, jewelry.

None, full stop.

The nitrile thing went out when a guy got a loose cable strand poke through his glove and spear him through the palm.

It was ruled (truly otherwise) that the glove played a part in him not being able to untangle from the swinging load.

The company is going to dodge, hold an investigation, find Blame regardless.

I feel it’s up to me to keep me safe after watching this BS merrygoround for the better part of. 40yrs.
That is correct, at the end of the day its your responsibility, the company will enforce safety in so much as it protects itself from legal problems..

Nah, it will just pull off.

I’m like a ninja.

warning: this is graphic and extremely gross! You can read the article, but only click the video if you have a strong constitution! There are also graphic/gross pictures in the article itself.

You have been warned:

There's many more out there. I've seen several of women's long hair getting caught in machinery in factories and it's never easy to watch or see and I've seen a lot of stuff in 30 years of SAR....injuries and suffering is never easy to watch happen.....when it becomes easy to watch, you need to seek professional help....

my opinion on that is that is a stupid rule. There are things that just need some common sense. Not everything needs a guard. A dremel or die grinder is inefficient with a guard. So is a hand drill. So lets get real... disclaimer: I didn't read the regs, too busy, and I don't want to go to sleep reading drivel.
I agree on the new drill press guards that are a spring loaded, hinged, semi-cylindrical in shape that surround the chuck. The only time I was injured using a machine tool was getting a blood blister from this type of drill press guard. The machine was off and after installing the drill and tightening the chuck, my hand got pinched as the guard slammed to the guard in place position. The injury was very minor, just enough to tick me off. My hands had an oil film and the smooth surface of the guard slipped out my other hand. Clearance is the other issue with these contraptions. Your depth of cut is limited because the guard protrudes to around 2 inches below the bottom of the drill chuck.

My understanding of OSHA machine guarding rules is that the guard cannot interfere with the normal operation of the machine. Don't misunderstand me, I'm all about a safe work environment. But the idea of making risk zero percent, is unrealistic. Freak accidents can and will happen. The best we can do is be vigilant. Do not work in the shop when you are tired or distracted by life's many problems. I see no reason to have your hand near a spinning fly cutter, circular saw blade, router bit, ...etc. I see no problem wearing 5mil nitrile gloves while cranking handwheels on a lathe or milling machine. The handwheels are far away from the spinning hand shredders. The biggest issue is using a file or emory on the lathe, which I do with bare hands, especially while working close to the spinning chuck. Of course proper methods need to be adhered to. Don't want to get your hand sucked in because you had the emory cloth wrapped around your fingers if the work grabs :oops:

As an example of "rules" for guarding. Guarding on moving mechanical components must have openings 1/4 inch or less if the moving parts are closer than 2 inches to the inside surface of the guarding. I had to adhere to this when designing guards at work. I had originally had a pattern of 3/8" holes, around 2.5 inches square, painted black on the safety orange to allow maintenance personnel to view the action without taking the guards off. I also used tamper proof fasteners to attach the guards. What I want to know is, how many adult humans have a finger that can protrude 1.5 inches through a 3/8" hole?

Back