No idea what I am doing but going to build a Wire EDM from scratch to make custom dies...

jimbo fury

Registered
Registered
No idea what I am doing but can't afford to pay for special dies I need and can't afford to buy a wire edm. My dies have unique geometry and from informal testing I need a die clearance of 0.00035". Any tips would be much appreciated :dejected:

That's an ambitious project.

Stamping some very thin materials? That is unusually tight clearance, normally 5 to 10% of the material thickness gives a clean cut. Maybe there is another way to make the dies? I used to make really complex shapes in two pieces using a surface grinder.

Get someone who knows the trade and does the work to answer your question likely an EDM shop.

Very ambitious project- you'll need to study power supplies, motor controls, feedback systems and more
Would it not be more practical to get a good used machine? I think Mr. Whoopee posted one a couple months back that was being given away for free
-Mark

Very ambitious project- you'll need to study power supplies, motor controls, feedback systems and more
Would it not be more practical to get a good used machine? I think Mr. Whoopee posted one a couple months back that was being given away for free
-Mark
Oh wow! How do I find those kinds of posts?

That's an ambitious project.

Stamping some very thin materials? That is unusually tight clearance, normally 5 to 10% of the material thickness gives a clean cut. Maybe there is another way to make the dies? I used to make really complex shapes in two pieces using a surface grinder.
No, not thin materials. They will be punch high grade cellulose pads.

Just keep visiting the site- can't really predict when these deals show up but if Whoopee sees it he'll post it I'm sure
Might put a flag on SearchTempest and also check auction sales and gov sales, maybe industrial resellers online or local to you
-Mark

I don't know what your experience is in tool & die work so maybe you can pull this off. But, in order to operate at the clearances you suggest, you are going to need an incredibly tight and rigid setup.

Back