Noise levels of various milling machines

AllenV

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
All,

I have, time and again, run across the comment in these forums that “Geared Head Mills are Noisy”. Yet I have never seen any data posted to frame this comment in comparison to other mills.

I’d like to start a highly focus series of posts wherein mill owners contribute quantitative data of the noise level of their mill. Eventually, we ought to have enough individual measurements representing a large array of mills from the smallest benchtop to full-size knee mills showing just how noisy is noisy. I hope the data would cover geared heads, belt drives, any sort of machine.

Taking the data will only take a few minutes of your time and can be done at no cost by using an smart phone. Here is my suggested proceedure:

1)Load and ap onto your phone. I have “NIOSH Sound Level Meter” from the Apple Ap store. I am sure the non-Apple products have something available.

2)Hold the phone’s microphone in front of the mill at head height in the normal operator’s position.

3) Run the mill at high, medium, and low spindle speed and record the noise level in dB(A)

4) post your data in a simple format, such as my example below. Please refrain from any accessory comments or discussion. Ideally this series of posts will become a long list of “just the facts” noise information that forum members can quickly scan through to get a sense of noise generated by a huge variety of mills in use by our members.

Here is my suggested data format. I am sorry but I am “between mills” at the moment and cannot post actual data. So this is pretend data.

Sample data post starts here************

Mill manufacturer and Model: Precision Mathews PM-833-T
Mill Type: Benchtop, geared head
Any modification to the spindle drive train: none
Where was noise measured: 3 feet in front of spindle at head height

Spindle speed 60 (RPM) Noise 73 (dB(A))
Spindle speed 450 (RPM) Noise 80 (dB(A))
Spindle speed 1500 (RPM) Noise 82 (dB(A))

Sample data poste ends here**************

Again, the above is not actual data as I have no mill just now

FYI: I borrowed this from an RV forum where members post measured weights of their trailers. Both pin weight and total weight fully packed for travel. That information has been tremendously useful in helping members match their current or desired trailer to a truck that can safely tow their trailer.

Attachments

• NIOSH SLM.png
    NIOSH SLM.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 11
Cool! I just happen to have that app already, allow me to be your first victim…

Mill manufacturer and Model: Atlas Press, MF Horizontal Miller
Mill Type: Benchtop, belt drive with back gear
Any modification to the spindle drive train: none
Where was noise measured: 18” in front of spindle at operator chest height (60” +/-)

61 RPM : 51.5 dB(A)
412 RPM : 51.2 dB(A)
1740 RPM : 54.0 dB(A)

-frank :)

Not to be rude, but I Guess the OP has never been in a machine shop where hearing protection is Mandatory. I would not trade my geared head mill for a non-geared head.

I would really love to see these reading for a PM-833TV!

I have an Android app called "Physics Toolbox Suite" that has, amongst many other things, a sound meter.

Back