Noisy Atlas Lathes?

Most work has been held either in the 3 jaw or a drill chuck mounted on an arbor. I will have to try with both chucks and see which is the problem, I was just thinking the same thing. If it is unbalanced, how many wheel weights can I glue to it?:whistle:
Pierre

Instead of adding wheel weights to the light side, I think that MSC sells do-it-yourself hole kits. You can just add holes to the heavy side.:cool:

I will send the rookie across the street for a "bag of steam":roflmao:
Pierre

Seems to me that one of the biggest areas for N-O-I-S-E production is the gear train, especially when the feed drive is engaged. I quieted mine down a bunch by going through the gear train and checking/setting the tooth depth of engagement snf doing some cleaning and re-lubing.. If you get them too deep they make all kinds of racket and if not deep enough they are noisy noisy (and weak, I think). When they are in the right spot (the sweet spot, noise wise, it seems to me) the gear train is significantly quieter than when not. BTW, mine has a quick change setup...but I have heard the same noises from both non-QC and QC setups if not adjusted right!

I will send the rookie across the street for a "bag of steam":roflmao:
Pierre
A guy has to be kind of careful with this stuff....A good friend of mine, while serving as a helicopter crew chief/mechanic in Viet Nam and HIS buddies sent a newbie off to find 50 yards of flight line. They didn't see him for like 3 or 4 days and when he did re-appear, he did it accompanied by 3 or 4 big dump trucks that were backed up to the hangar doors where they dumped their Loads of PSP (PSP = Perforated Steel Planking, which is what was put on the ground on flight lines and in front of hangars (see the picture)....it makes a HUGE, HUGE racket when you just dump it out like that!! And there was about 50 yards worth of it!! Needless to say...they had overlooked the fact that this particular guy, though new in country, was on his second tour there and instantly recognized that he was being screwed with and knew just how to fix THAT. OH, yeah....they never screwed with him after that!! :rofl:

050613-F-1234P-017 PSP.jpg

050613-F-1234P-017 PSP.jpg

Yes i can understand what happened there.
In '79, I remember that our QMASTER assistant was caught liberating some parts that were in desperate need to repair our rifles from another regiment's stores. They had a lifetime supply that was not going to be used while we had none. Fortunately the right people were involved, NCOs who knew the situation, and things were taken care of.
Every regimental Qmaster, has a expert scuronger working for him.
Pierre

I've got a th54 and mine is not noisy IMO. In back gears it is more noisy. I keep everything well lubed all the time. Here's a quick vid of it in operation making parts for my speed change pulley for my atlas drill press.

The lathe starts running about 1:45 into the vid.

[video=youtube;gBJkQkLPWb4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBJkQkLPWb4[/video]

I always thought mine was noisy, now I see that its normal and running in great shape.

Back