Non-level lathe bed?

pkemner

Registered
Registered
Looking at different ads, I found this one for an Atlas lathe. It's odd that the bed seems to slope upwards towards the tailstock:
crlathe.jpg

I thought it might be an odd camera parallax problem, but then I found an ad for this lathe. Any idea what's going on?
atlaslathe2.pngI

looks like an optical illusion to me. the tailstock seems to be mounted further from the operator than the headstock, which is producing diverging lines. The type of lens used, and the angle of the picture aren't helping either.

it won't affect use in any event.

Probably a cell phone with really screwy optics is my guess
Or some really goofy web software issue
They don't really look like that

The visual depth of the chip tray has an affect of the perception as well. I have seen lathes bolted to ships. Level doesn't matter all that much, as long as it is true to itself.

Welcome to the weird world of used machine tools where anything could be true, or not. The first one it does look like there stuff under the tailstock end. The second who knows. Maybe a hole or dent under the headstock? Photos are only a precursor to seeing in person. Then you get to try and wade through what you can see and figure out.

Second one's several hundred miles away. The other Is a recent ad that the seller isn't responding to, so maybe it's sold.

the seller isn't responding to, so maybe it's sold.
Or who knows? If it’s email they could be one of those people who never check their mail. I’ve had people respond a month later because they posted it then went on vacation, WTH?

I once answered an ad for an 8" bench grinder, and no answer. 3 months later, he got back to me, and gave me a hefty discount. I ended up with it for 10 bucks.

<hihack>
I have three emails in to a fellow selling a Delta bandsaw, Craftsman 113 series tablesaw, Delta fllor standing drill press, bench grinder, and varius and sundry other tools for $600.
No response. Will be a sweet deal if I can get them...
<hijack/>

literally 70% of all tried contacts are fails. Then those classics where there is no contact info. Just part of the game. Some are some kind of come on.

Back