Noob Question About Boring Bar Inserts (yes 1 More)

NoobCanuk

Registered
Registered
Boring Bar head.jpg I recently purchased a boring bar and was curious if I can use just any insert of the same diamond shape in it or does it absolutely need to be a very specific type of insert to fit in it?

The boring bar I got is a Kennametal E06-SDUPR2 NJO The boring bar has a through hole for coolant and was described as a carbide bar. It came with a box of 10 inserts Walter Valenite DPMT 070204-2A US10. I researched a bit and found that these inserts are pretty much worthless to me since they are for cast iron and I have zero plans to work with any cast iron.

The question I have really is about the inserts. I want to be able to use this boring bar on stainless steel and cheap mystery metals. I was given a bunch of weight lifting bars from work for free (they were sitting behind the shop for what looks like years and the guys heard I wanted any scrap metal I could find to play with on my lathe so I got them all for free). I am curious after reading on the forums here what exactly letters and numbers I need to use to order inserts for the bar properly to work on steel and SS?

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Oh, I will try and upload a pic of the bar and box of inserts it came with in case it might help (there was a different insert in the bar than what is in the box of inserts so I have no idea what the gold colored insert is or what it's for).

Curt

Boring Bar w Inserts.jpg

Last edited:
Those CI inserts should work on any mystery metal you throw at them for roughing. If a insert fit properly in the holder and lines up with the sides and clamping hole it will work

The gold coloured insert as seen in the first picture is probably a TiN coating.
As rhynardt wrote, you can go ahead and use those inserts for mystery metals.
That is very good tooling. Be careful to avoid chipping the tips inserts. Inserts should only touch work that is moving.

:+1: What Mike said. You can use them on any material you have. Just find the speed and feed the work best at for what you are cutting at the time.
I have the same bar except mine cuts on the back side. So I have to bore in reverse.

Yes, those inserts are for super alloys and SS. Not really made for aluminum, but they will work.

As far as finding replacements, there are two key parameters: 55 Degrees Diamond carbon insert, and 1/4" inscribed circle (IC). Then you narrow down to what material you want to use it on (ISO class).

When I started to use inserts, I found it very confusing. Here is a link that discusses insert shapes and capabilities.

http://www2.coromant.sandvik.com/coromant/pdf/Metalworking_Products_061/tech_a_5.pdf

Here's a crossover chart for grades. I use this to get the ISO class:

http://cets.com/resources/turning-grade-crossover/

and as referenced by Mike, a good information:
http://www.carbidedepot.com/Default.aspx

Thanks guys for the responses. Much appreciated. The page I found on those inserts said only good for cast iron. So it is good to know I can use them on steel as well. I haven't had time to read your links yet but I will tonight for sure. I really appreciate your help and information it really is a big help. Thanks guys. You really are a huge help.

Back