Nose radius

Haha blaming us now eh! Ah I see, now it's making more sense. IIRC you have an 8"-8.25" backplate, SFM will be high at that diameter. Starting at that diameter you'll probably have to start at around 200 rpm or less. As you reduce the diameter you can bump up the spindle speed. IIRC when I was taking down the dia of my 8.25" backplate I started at 180 RPM. Don't use those CCGT-AK inserts for that, not for roughing.

Also you mentioned hand feeding. I would try power feeding instead. Start at like 5 thou feed rate or something slow. Then increase if it can take it. Sometimes feeding by hand, even though it may not seem like it, you can be inconsistent & cause too much chip load causing more load on the motor. More likely to happen at that large of a dia.

Wait till you get to hog out that chunk of 304 ! That baby is going to be a huffin and puffin ! :big grin:

I gotta have it first :cautious:

Help
OK, I don't know whether to s!ht fart or go blind, every partial insert number given by you guys, when looked up online comes back with a ton of different numbers. I have been looking for inserts for my SCLCRO8-3A insert holder for cast iron(THE DEVILS METAL). For the numbers my online search has been dismal. Then I try to use charting for types of inserts, I want to slash my wrists already. Just use an insert they say, yeah right..... My mystery insert did a .005, .010, 015, .020, .030 then polished the last .250 of the facing cut@ 400 RPM. So that makes 5 cuts total at my slowest power feed. This is one research chart....

I did a search and came across this thread...nose radius. I ordered a couple inserts, one they sent isn't even the correct shape, the other is. My problem, I need to figure out which nose radius I need to reorder. Is there a way to discern what the nose radius of a tool is? I mean, how do you measure a tools nose radius?

how do you measure a tools nose radius?

You could use radius gauges. Radius is half of a diameter of course so if you don't have any you can use something round of known diameter to check if you got really good eyes. Had my radius gauges out today so I thought I'd see. Turns out my set does have the sizes. These three are the most common for insert nose radii. Inserts are available in one more size smaller but I don't have that size gauge (no matter to me)

20200313_181759.jpg20200313_182037.jpg

My Yuasa does not have the 1/64 th

Mine is in the very top flap by itself above the holder pen thingy.

Back