Re-Opened Not an issue, just a question

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Sharp, and ACRA mills are basically the same, and BP clones. Would it be possible to have a titled section for them, instead of doing a search? Or am I not finding them?
Thank you....

Just wanted to run it up the flag pole, to see if it got any support. :)

Upvote 0
You're gonna have to get a whole lot of more people to buy Acras. :D

Upvote 0
The thing with all those that you mentioned is that they are not clones or aren't very similar to other machines which is why they can really only be grouped under "lesser known machines" or some other similarities if possible. Much different case with BP knee mill clones.

The problem we had before is we had way to many sections & it causes members to not even bother looking at all the other sections to properly post in. So members just posted in General. IMO we still have way too many sections but what can you do. There are even more manufacturers out there that we don't even have sections for. At least it has been indexed a bit better to reduce the clutter.

Upvote 0
No, I think that you have raised a valid question, the answer to which really has a simple answer. Although I don't recall the Staff ever actually discussing the rules for a manufacturer to have its own Forum or to have its name or names mentioned in a Forum title, one only has to scan down the Forum list of specific brands or manufacturers to see a bunch of examples of solutions. As it is is near the top if the list of specific makers of machine tools, take the Atlas list as an example. The title begins with Atlas but includes Craftsman (which was the most common name assigned to machines made by Atlas and sold to Sears (Atlas's largest single customer) for marketing under the Craftsman name, Dunlap (another Sears name used in the 1930's and 40's), and AA (short title for the Double A company, another Sears contractor). Or Clausing, which includes the names of several other companies that Clausing bought either before or after Atlas bought Clausing. Such as Colchester and Johansson. So if the brands mentioned are really Bridgeport clones, the obvious solution is to tag on Adcock and Shipley and Acra, or rather to insert the two names before the generic "Other B'Port Clones". And while I was at it, I would change B'Port to Bridgeport. The system will take care of the fact that adding this will push the Forum title onto a second line. There are already several examples of that on the list. That is better than assuming that someone new to the list and to machine tools in general who has for example an Acra would know what "B'Port was short for and would know that an Acra might be considered a Bridgeport clone. One of the Admins will have to make the actual change as AFAIK Moderators don't have access to editing the site menus.

Upvote 0
Once again , shoulda bought a BP Mike . ;)

Upvote 0
Back