Not sure what the technical term for this is, but the head settles in use

Under heavy cutting my mill would cause vibrations that caused Z to drop. I upgraded my Z axis locks for more leverage, and have been good so far with that. I also think that adding a counter weight that offsets the weight of the head would help, but so far so good with bigger axis lock handles, and watching my cuts. Was working with a indexible chamfer mill, and once I got into a heavier cut, I took my eyes off for 30 seconds and it dropped the head a quarter inch and began cutting into my vise jaw. Lesson learned.

Under heavy cutting my mill would cause vibrations that caused Z to drop. I upgraded my Z axis locks for more leverage, and have been good so far with that. I also think that adding a counter weight that offsets the weight of the head would help, but so far so good with bigger axis lock handles, and watching my cuts. Was working with a indexible chamfer mill, and once I got into a heavier cut, I took my eyes off for 30 seconds and it dropped the head a quarter inch and began cutting into my vise jaw. Lesson learned.
Oww! I had a dovetail cutter pull out from the R8 collet, much not have been tight enough. Ruined the work piece as the cutter made a downward slot, more like \ rather than ---. But my vise was unhurt, but I was chastened.

Are the z-axis locks just longer handles? Or did you also go with bigger diameter screws?

I noticed this also. I made sure to lock the quill really tight and then I thought maybe the end mill was working down.
I now make sure to clean/remove oil from the ER40 collets.
Can’t seem to get to the bottom of it.

Here is just another FYI . Material moves as you cut it or heat it . Stress relieving helps but with many materials it doesn't matter . Skim cut on a long piece of stainless and we end up with a banana shape . Just part of the fun . :)

I noticed this also. I made sure to lock the quill really tight and then I thought maybe the end mill was working down.
I now make sure to clean/remove oil from the ER40 collets.
Can’t seem to get to the bottom of it.
Not sure what your machines have , but most have a locking spindle stop . Bring the spindle down to the stop and lock the quill . Doesn't have to be wrenched . The end mill is trying to pull itself down into the part just by the nature of the flutes . If you're seeing a large drop during heavy milling , end mill holders are the ticket . The mills won't slide out of them as long as you're located on the top of the slot .

So, a couple thousand miles of railroad track expanding a couple miles- sounds right to me
How much track would be needed to move say, one foot? Imagine your head is between the end of the track and a brick wall
???
answer: 1000 feet
(squish, as the sun comes up)

Last edited:
just spitballin‘ here but I used to have something similar and while searching something else here on H-M someone mentioned a endmill being pulled down in the collet while under load and their fix was to go to tool holders. Of course you have to have an endmill with the flat in it for that(which mine do). So I got a couple of tool holders and viola! No more creep. Of course have to make sure the slot is pulled against the set screw when I set I up.

just spitballin‘ here but I used to have something similar and while searching something else here on H-M someone mentioned a endmill being pulled down in the collet while under load and their fix was to go to tool holders. Of course you have to have an endmill with the flat in it for that(which mine do). So I got a couple of tool holders and viola! No more creep. Of course have to make sure the slot is pulled against the set screw when I set I up.
I've heard that.

What holds the end mill holders in? I have an R8 collet. The larger end mills I have all have the Weldon? flat.
The little 3/8" shank dovetail cutter that pulled out of the collet, I don't know if it had a flat. I'd have to check.

B
What holds the end mill holders in?
what holds all mill collets in the draw bolt. I also have R8 so R8 tool holders. And yes Weldon flat(forget what it was called, thx).

1654985883558.jpeg

Back