Nothing new, but just a reflection on the RF mill.

Doc Hoy

Registered
Registered
About three days ago, I set about tightening up my RF 30 mill. This is the third of these mills I have owned and the fourth with which I have had experience. I have never paid more than 400.00 for one of these mills. You might ask why I am on my third of these mills. It has nothing to do with failure or lost performance of the mills but was prompted only by long distance moves. I knew I could replace the mills cheaper than I could move them. While these mills may suffer from a less than stellar reputation, I find that they can be an economical answer to the home shop mill function.

The internet is replete with videos and descriptions of upgrades to the mill and with instructions for keeping the mill tight. I am an untrained home machinist and so my comments could not possibly add to the comprehensiveness of the information that is already available.

My reason for making this post is to simply express that I was able to tighten the backlash on the two axes of the work table with relative ease. The table came off easily. When it was removed I realized that the cross nuts and feed shafts were in good condition and the adjustments on the cross nuts could be relied upon to reduce backlash to an acceptable (to me) level.

I am going to make a more substantial base for the mill but one which will allow access to the Y axis nut adjustment without removing the table. I may try to put wheels on the base for ease of movement around the shop. I did this on a 12 inch lathe weighing about 1100 pounds so it should work for this 600 - 700 pound mill.

Sorry for not really adding anything to the RF mill discussion.

Don't downplay your comments. When you come up with a drawing for your table design, post it for the benefit of other new Rong Fu mill owners. So often, people end up pioneering table designs, and a working design (along with photos of the finished table), has the possibility of helping out new owners.

I considered getting an RF30 at one point, but in my local area, a working model usually listed for 1200 to 2000 dollars. Any which you could find in the "under 600 dollar range" were rusted-up messes.

I ended up getting a Precision Matthews mill, but, due to a delay in getting a pedestal stand, ended up designing and welding up my own table for it. Tables look deceptively simply, until you start considering rigidity and levelling. Then the height and ergonomics of use come into play as well. Yes, just a well thought out table design is an asset.

My $400 used and abused, but not rusty RF30 came with a very HD table. It’s the width of the mill table which I thought at first was too big because all the pics I’d seen were the size of the base. It’s a 1/4” thick top with 1 1/2” tubing frame. But now I wouldn’t want it any other way because I can set the tools I’m using for the project on the table instead of the mill table. There’s also room for tool boxes underneath for all the tools related to the mill and my 10” rotary table. I also have castors with homemade leveling screws so I can easily move the whole mountain of machine and tools for cleaning etc.

My $400 used and abused, but not rusty RF30 came with a very HD table. It’s the width of the mill table which I thought at first was too big because all the pics I’d seen were the size of the base. It’s a 1/4” thick top with 1 1/2” tubing frame. But now I wouldn’t want it any other way because I can set the tools I’m using for the project on the table instead of the mill table. There’s also room for tool boxes underneath for all the tools related to the mill and my 10” rotary table. I also have castors with homemade leveling screws so I can easily move the whole mountain of machine and tools for cleaning etc.
I'd love to see some photos of the leveling system and casters.

Ok, but I’m into function, not paint. The castors were originally from a hospital that a neighbor had worked at and had a bucket of them for $40. i think the are gurney castors so square SS shanks. Perfect for making levelers, cheap.

Attachments

• CEE41377-7566-45D4-B77A-3018769BCDC9.jpeg
    CEE41377-7566-45D4-B77A-3018769BCDC9.jpeg
    950.5 KB · Views: 30
  • D97A5899-5A29-4E97-9C48-345D448AE9AD.jpeg
    D97A5899-5A29-4E97-9C48-345D448AE9AD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
Yes I see them. I will likely use some metal casters. Prolly buy them from Harbor Freight. Kind of anxious to get started now that I have seen yours. Thanks.

Back