Now I dunnit

tertiaryjim

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
An add came up on Craigs list for a Diamond Model 22m horizontal mill and a Walker Turner drill press. After getting what I think was a good deal on a horizontal mill
a few months ago I didn't need another. The 22m mill seems to be missing the crank handles and the overhead spindle brace but it does have a vertical head.
The drill press has a missing chunk from the table skert. Full condition of either is unknown as they are just cleaning out their storage.
So, I made what I thought was a really low offer on the mill $240 and a reasonable offer on the drill press. $140, maybe that was a bit much.
No way I would get either with what people are paying for machines now.
Got a call and they said come get em. The machines have been in storage for at least 20 years and they know nothing about them.
Theres a couple more projects for my list and I can hardly get the garage door open now.
Will post pictures when possible but now I gotta get ready for the 200+ mile round trip.

Those Diamonds look like stout machines.
Congrats!
-brino

I saw the adds, was tempted to reply, but the better half would have wanted another sewing machine, so I resisted. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

Superburban
Got a lot of projects that have to be complet'ed first and I'm really slow.
To some extent it's the fault of all the members here posting such nice shop made tools.
Will put it in storage and hope to get roundtoit in a couple years.
Hey! Wasn't it you that beat me to that 14" shaper?

Superburban
Got a lot of projects that have to be complet'ed first and I'm really slow.
To some extent it's the fault of all the members here posting such nice shop made tools.
That describes me exactly.

Will put it in storage and hope to get roundtoit in a couple years.
Still describes me, I have been fixing the 16" Southbend I picked up in your back yard a few years back.

Hey! Wasn't it you that beat me to that 14" shaper?
Yea, I got you on that one. I still go down, and make squares, just to watch it run. :cool:

Finally took some pics of the little mill...
IMG_0569 - Copy.JPGThe vertical head is different than those i saw when looking for information on the mill but it was clearly made to fit this machine. Am uncertain of the available speeds. Has five belt positions. One sheave is missing a small chunk.
It's driven with a 1/3 hp,3ph motor.
IMG_0570 - Copy.JPGHaven't yet tried to identify the collets it uses. Came with three,the largest looks to be 3/8" .
IMG_0571 - Copy.JPGI pulled it off the stand to unload. First blocked the trailer so it couldn't tilt and got some rusty shafting under the pallet to role it to the back of the trailer. The rectangular hole in the base is where the coolant pump would mount, if it had one.
IMG_0571 - Copy.JPGUsed a engine lift to pick the mill off the stand. The motor , below the large sheave, caused it to tilt a bit, so I made a mini pallet and bolted it to the bottom of the mill to keep it stable. The main motor is 1 hp, 3 ph. The base and tray must weigh at least 250 lbs. It's nice to see a cast chip tray.The cover for the main drive is here but some of the guarding it mounts to is made of plywood.
IMG_0573 - Copy.JPGWon't know the real condition of the ways for some time but offhand they don't look too bad. Some one slipped a brass shim in there rather than adjusting the gibb. Hope there's no OH OHH attached to that!
A bit of rust on most of it but no sign of pitting. Not bad for a machine that's been stored for twenty years.

Last edited:
Superburban
Ya beat me to that shaper fair n square but now your just taunting me. My feelers are bent.

Last edited:
First, Great looking machine!

Am uncertain of the available speeds. Has five belt positions. One sheave is missing a small chunk.

I picked up an inexpensive tachometer like this:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Digital...699917?hash=item364e686acd:g:D10AAOSwRqBZplTa
It has worked well to chart-out the rpm given by various belt positions on unknown motor and pulley combinations.

Haven't yet tried to identify the collets it uses. Came with three,the largest looks to be 3/8" .

This page:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/diamond/
says:

A common addition to these sturdy little millers - and common to many contemporary models - was the mounting of a self-contained vertical head. The better known of these, from the 1930 to 1950s, were the original Bridgeport M, the "Tree" from Racine, the "Halco" from Detroit and Kearney & Trecker with their Dalrae-manufactured "Midgetmill" and "Speedmill" units.

What is the label on yours say? I cannot quite see it from here.
That will likely help identify the collets.

The base and tray must weigh at least 250 lbs. It's nice to see a cast chip tray.

Nice!

-brino

Thanks brino.
Will have to try reading the tags for identification and will let ya know.
It's amazing how cheap China makes these electronics. I picked up a old style electric tachometer but haven't tried it out yet.

Hi Jim, several Diamond owners here including me. I have a B-12 that's served me well- sturdy machines
Mark

Back