Nut cracker

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
It started as a simple request. Could I make her a decent nut cracker please. One that was easy to operate and wouldn’t make too much mess.
Here in Queensland, our native nuts, Macadamias, are fairly prolific, but extremely hard. Pliers, hammers, crab crackers, are used with varying degrees of success. Pulverised nuts, pinched fingers, flying shells are often the result.
So I decided to do something worthwhile, but keeping to simple machining, and a work around of not having a rotary table or indexing head. And try to make it look nice for her.
I did a sketch to work from but it was a bit of a design in progress as far as the look of the finished product. I started with a pattern made from MDF and pine; shaped for draft, painted, and also a split mold.
100_zpsc634aed4.jpg 101_zpse361a633.jpg
102_zps24247ed3.jpg 103_zpsa84530e2.jpg

30 minutes in the furnace and what used to be a wheel rim I found on the side of the road, (I still think if the owner wonders what happened to it), was turned into something more useful, (to me).
104_zpsf79b7d5c.jpg 105_zpsf013f759.jpg

Cheers Phil

- - - Updated - - -

Drilled out on the mill to accept some brass bushes I had turned up on the lathe, and the “camshaft” from 4140.
106_zps2eaef41a.jpg 107_zpsb21af70b.jpg 108_zps13cb447a.jpg

The hole for the “pushrod” was too long for even my long series drill so I made an extension from an old printer roller shaft. I drilled a pilot hole, then went up in size to the diameter of the extension shaft to keep it centered for the next bearing block. Drill and repeat, but then I had to make an even longer extension shaft to reach the back bearing block.
109_zps49eecf54.jpg

The back bearing block needed a counterbore to suit the thumbwheel I had planned. So that was another tool to make. As accuracy was not critical here it ended up being simplest to make a boring tool of sorts with a ¼” HSS cutter, I assembled the bits and just using a hand drill to power it I pulled back on the tool until it had cut deep enough.
110_zps2f3e22a8.jpg 111_zpsf8b577cc.jpg

And some more brass bushes were machined up to suit the pushrod bearings.
112_zps55d2f2db.jpg

Cheers Phil

100_zpsc634aed4.jpg 101_zpse361a633.jpg 102_zps24247ed3.jpg 103_zpsa84530e2.jpg 104_zpsf79b7d5c.jpg 105_zpsf013f759.jpg 106_zps2eaef41a.jpg 107_zpsb21af70b.jpg 108_zps13cb447a.jpg 109_zps49eecf54.jpg 110_zps2f3e22a8.jpg 111_zpsf8b577cc.jpg 112_zps55d2f2db.jpg

Very nice start to a nutcracker! All you guys amaze me with your broad range of skills. Thanks for the post.

Richard

Very nice indeed ! Do keep us posted as it comes to completion.

BTW -- here in the NE USA we have a similar problem with black walnuts -- delicious nuts, but the devil to crack, and you usually wind up with bits of shell in the meat. I use a bench vise.

I can't wait to see what this will look like. The War Department is watching this one also.

"Billy G"

Thanks for the words guys.

A ½” grade 8 bolt had the thread and head cut off and I single pointed an Acme thread onto the shank, then milled a slot it for the grub screw which was drilled and tapped into the back bearing block from the underside. This screw prevents the Acme threaded bolt from rotating when the adjusting thumbwheel is turned. A small depression was machined in the end to give it a sharp working lip. A circlip groove was cut in it for a spring retainer. When the machining was finished I heated it red hot and quenched in oil. I left it as is with no tempering.
113_zpsae5b4284.jpg

The thumbwheel is made from bronze, (a bit of left over sprue from another casting project), turned to size and shape, and single pointed with an internal thread. I have an old headstock and spindle, so that was pressed into use as a indexing head. I clamped it to the mill and bent up a piece of wire for an indicator. Locate the spindle so it lines up with the pointer, then tighten the split bearing hard on the spindle to lock it. I needed to hold the thumbwheel on the bolt to give me enough clearance between the chuck and the ballnose endmill. Mill a comfortable groove in the wheel, loosen the spindle, move a couple of teeth round, lock it up, repeat.
114_zpsded6b2b9.jpg 115_zps724107b0.jpg 116_zps21295d05.jpg

113_zpsae5b4284.jpg 114_zpsded6b2b9.jpg 115_zps724107b0.jpg 116_zps21295d05.jpg

Joe,
Whilst the operation of the cracker is a bit different, the ability to adjust for different size nuts is similar to mine.

Cheers Phil

- - - Updated - - -

The operating handle was some more 4140 that I turned to a pleasing taper, drilled and tapped the bottom for securing it and put a vague thread on the top for the knob. I drilled a 64th oversize hole in a steel block, put a screw in the threaded end to protect the thread from deforming, then heated it red hot, jammed it in the hole and bent it 90. I was quite impressed with how sharp and neat the bend came out. I then milled some sides to the handle to prevent any tendency for it to rotate in use.
117_zps6484f09f.jpg 118_zps6e10e5ee.jpg

The cam shaft then got a flat milled in it to lock it to the handle.
119_zps2f6d0ea2.jpg

The cam lobe was plotted on a piece of paper as a graph, then transferred to a piece of plate and shaped with an angle grinder.

Cheers Phil

117_zps6484f09f.jpg 118_zps6e10e5ee.jpg 119_zps2f6d0ea2.jpg

All the bits'n'bobs that make up the guts of this contraption.
The pushrod is a piece of chromed rod from a printer, cut to length, a circlip groove was cut in it for the spring return when the handle is raised. The cam and camshaft were cross drilled for a pin to lock them together. A small felt pad was glued to the ally base below the cam for an oiler. Each operation of the handle presses the face of the cam against the felt pad. I just soaked it in gear oil, eventually I suppose it will dry out, but I don’t think it will happen real soon and I’m not even sure it was necessary. I don’t plan on cracking nuts at high speed for extended periods.
120_zpsf8c0d077.jpg

Cheers Phil

120_zpsf8c0d077.jpg

The 3 wood pieces that hide it all, along with the cup for the nut, and a matching inlay for the handle. The bottom piece was routed out to the thickness of the ally base plate. The middle piece was pretty simple, just cut it to clear everything. The top piece needed careful planning on where to cut the openings for the cup and the operating lever, and also the top of the bearing blocks, but then also a bit more to clear the top of the cam, and also as an afterthought the bristle brush that was used to conceal the opening of the operating handle. It was getting pretty thin in a few places and it started to split with all the work being done to it so I inlet a couple of pieces of ¼ X ¼ oak across the grain to lock it together.
121_zps28f90dd7.jpg

A dry run shows how it will all go together.
122_zpsc806a81e.jpg 123_zpsef2ba934.jpg

124_zpsdd5520fa.jpg 125_zps9eec1d11.jpg

Cheers Phil

121_zps28f90dd7.jpg 122_zpsc806a81e.jpg 123_zpsef2ba934.jpg 124_zpsdd5520fa.jpg 125_zps9eec1d11.jpg

Well done so far! Looking forward to seeing the finished project in action!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back