NYA bench vise

silence dogood

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Any one know any thing about this vise? Got it for nothing. At one time it looks like was reallyDSC01779.JPGDSC01779.JPG good. But was abused as you can see by the nut. :bawling:

Can't help with the identification, but a new nut can be fabricated to replace your broken part. Was the nut an integral part of the base casting or a separate wedge piece that uses a pin to retain it? The latter is much easier to repair but the first can be repaired too, just a little more difficult.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

If you look at the piece in front of the square, it's a separate wedge held by a pin. This is a nice heavy duty vise with a long throat. Every thing else I can fix, but that nut I'm not sure what to do.

If you aren't in a hurry and can wait until winter I can probably help you out. We are in the middle of harvest right now. It starts to slow down for me about mid November. I'm not too far away from you, so postage shouldn't be bad.

If you aren't in a hurry and can wait until winter I can probably help you out. We are in the middle of harvest right now. It starts to slow down for me about mid November. I'm not too far away from you, so postage shouldn't be bad.

No hurry. I got to clean up the vise anyway. Thanks for the help.

No hurry. I got to clean up the vise anyway. Thanks for the help.
Have you seen fireball tool's video on you tube where he "fixes" the Prentice vise he broke? I would be tempted to go that route on yours, it seems like a cool option.

I just saw that fireball tool video .Hm, now that's an idea. This vise that I got has a 4" jaw and looks like one can open the jaws over 6 1/2" . I have 2 craftsman vises that are about the same size but different models or years. One, I can make work, but the jaws are ugly ( but I know that I can do something about that). The other one is in better shape but the nut was stripped. Right now, I'll use a HF that works okay but ugh. So right now, I'll fix the one craftsman. The other one, I'll try to make it work as a learning process. The NYA is so much better that it's worth a shot. Right now, trying to get the handle free on the NYA, it won't slide because of the rust.

I just saw that fireball tool video .Hm, now that's an idea. This vise that I got has a 4" jaw and looks like one can open the jaws over 6 1/2" . I have 2 craftsman vises that are about the same size but different models or years. One, I can make work, but the jaws are ugly ( but I know that I can do something about that). The other one is in better shape but the nut was stripped. Right now, I'll use a HF that works okay but ugh. So right now, I'll fix the one craftsman. The other one, I'll try to make it work as a learning process. The NYA is so much better that it's worth a shot. Right now, trying to get the handle free on the NYA, it won't slide because of the rust.
I have a thing for vises and vices... :)

I have a few I just store. I use 2 Wilton bullet vises, a 1920's swivel jaw Reed with 5" jaws, a made in USA Yost, a made in Germany leinen 5" and a few Columbia and craftsman I store. I fixed up a rough but good Parker which looks like yours for my son to use in his barn and it's great. I think the lead screw is likely a buttress thread profile and I wouldn't be able to cut those internal threads. Don't loose that piece as besides making the internal thread, it won't be super hard to make. The Parker vise has a set screw loading a brass pin with a spring to put friction on the handle. The one I got was so bad, I made another. Don't give up, that is a cool bit of iron which you couldn't replace very easy.

It should not be too difficult to make a new nut out of steel.

DSC01788.JPG
Here are pictures of three vises. The left ones are Duracraft, middle ones are Craftsman, and the one on the right is NYA. All three have the same 4"jaws, The slides and fix jaws on the first two are 1/4" thick. The NYA slide is 1/2" thick and the other part is 9/16" thick. The screws and nuts on all three is the same dia and thread. The Duracraft will be fixed pretty easy. The Craftsman has a stripped nut. The NYA has a broken nut and it looks like a washer or two and maybe a spring are missing. Fixing the nuts is going to take some head scratching. I sure like to fix the NYA. On thing that I've learned, there sure is not much iron where the anvil is. Better off just have a separate anvil.DSC01789.JPG

Back