Odd lathe chuck

That looks like a mini lathe type, hand operated scroll chuck. I have seen cheap ($50) type and higher end types used on glass blowing lathes. (search for my post on glass lathe) I would say the are for light work and cutting. The grip length is short on that style and tightening the chuck by hand instead of using a key like on full bodied chucks. My bench top cnc mill uses a cheap model on the 4th axis.
Darcy

edit: the linked chuck would probably be great for high precision, lite multi axis milling. It looks expensive.

Last edited:
Looking on the net it doesn't look like that is a lathe chuck & is not designed to spin on a lathe type spindle. The base is aluminum & has studs for clamping on their quick clamp pallet fixtures. They're for holding ound stock for milling & meant to be mounted on CNC machine tables.

Looking on the net it doesn't look like that is a lathe chuck & is not designed to spin on a lathe type spindle. The base is aluminum & has studs for clamping on their quick clamp pallet fixtures. They're for holding ound stock for milling & meant to be mounted on CNC machine tables.

Your right on the mounting points but you can use it on a lathe (with a back plate) then transfer the whole chuck and work piece to your mill or edm for precise fixturing.:))

Actually the directindustry website call it "lathe chuck", while on the producer website - http://www.lang-technik.de/en/artikel/gruppen/51721.ino-grip-compact-chuck.html - there is no mention of lathes, but it is defined just as "Automatable chuck for round milling parts".
I think it is so expensive that you'll have to call it Charles instead of Chuck, to avoid resentment…
:roflmao:
Anyway the idea of slanted sides seems not bad: could be a way to save some weight on micro-lathes.

Think of it a a multi machine fixture that the part stays attached through multiple operations. Put the blank in the chuck and mount on a lathe. Then take the chuck to your 3, 4, or 5 axis mill for the next operation. Once done there it can be moved to another machine like a EDM for the next operation, etc. Use it as part of a mfg system and you add in all the automation you can dream up.

We have a shop here in town (Packers Plus on 72a ave Edmonton, Ab.) ( http://www.packersplus.com/media/pressrelease/Press_Release_MX_Manufacturing_September_12.pdf ) that has all their suppliers use the square bar codes to mark the parts which are sent to an automated warehouse, assembly plant. When the order come in the computer has robotics pick the parts, assembly them together and torque to exact specifications. These are oil and gas parts. No human hands touch them until they leave the facility.
Darcy

Last edited:
Back