Odd little caliper I found ???

I think it's cool, I really like it.
Glad you like it, you can have first dibs on trading . It's not going anywhere, I've had it for years, it will be here when your ready. I'm sure we can come to an agreement. Here's a pic of the back.

- - - Updated - - -

you'all did a good job identifying that, How about these things, I found them in another old box of tooling I had, never could find anything similar to compare them to.
maybe someone know what they are for.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

ok--a little more about the nice little accurate starrett indicators---here are some pictures of mine that I clamped on an caliper similar to show how they can be used in many methods--mine can also be clamped to any magnetic or other fixture and has a nub on both sides of the touch point to be used on either side--mine measures 15 k plus or minus and is number 64--the tip of the needle is approx 4" from the fulcrum point--so it is very accurate---I couldn't see the back side of the "odd little caliper" so I don't know if someone bent the leg of the caliper and mounted the indicator permanent or if it was new on a caliper--anyway it is a nice very useable tool ---Dave--*now that I see the added back picture--I think the PO just cut one leg of a caliper--bent it and mounted his little indicator--What do others think?

AAAAA-2014 024.jpgAAAAA-2014 001.jpgAAAAA-2014 003.jpgAAAAA-2014 009.jpgAAAAA-2014 021.jpgAAAAA-2014 022.jpgAAAAA-2014 023.jpg

AAAAA-2014 024.jpg AAAAA-2014 001.jpg AAAAA-2014 003.jpg AAAAA-2014 009.jpg AAAAA-2014 021.jpg AAAAA-2014 022.jpg AAAAA-2014 023.jpg

Going through an old box of tools I had I ran across this but don't know what it would be used for. Figured someone here would know what it was/is for.
It is Starrett and has a little spring activated needle on the gauge that doesn't show up real well in the pictures. I figured it is not complete and there must be something else it goes to. I looked on the Starrett site but didn't see anything similar, and it doesnt have a number on it like most other old calipers and mic's I have do.
hope you can see the pictures well enough.

I have never seen one like it but it is essentially bore gage. I wonder if it was commercially made or shop built but It would be used as a more modern dial indicator bore gage is used.With a set-master of some sort. Maybe a ring gage. As with most bore gages they are essentially comparators. The gage company I used to work for made a full line of bore gages standard and custom. There is nothing wrong with the indicator. It is not supposed to rest at zero. These were primarily used as tool post indicators. I still have one like it and use it frequently.

Ron

Back