Odd Type Spanner Nut

mccullek

Registered
Registered
I am rebuilding a swing gear box for a small crane I own. The gear box is about 12K to replace, but I can rebuild it for about $700, which is what I have decided to do. I am a contractor, not a mechanic, although I am a jack of all trades, master of none type. While I have done a lot of shade tree mechanics, this and working on my own hydraulics are somewhat new ground for me, thus the reason for this post. With the costs of any type of heavy equipment work these days, learning to repair this on my own is worth my time and effort.

I have taken the gear box apart and cleaned it and I am now ready to put it back together. I was lucky in that the only problem with the box was the bearings were frozen up. All of the main components are fine, so it's just a matter of putting it back together with new bearings and seals. I have run into a small issue in which I need some help though. The main shaft uses an odd spanner lock nut lock in an 8 inch worm gear. The nut is 2 7/8" wide and instead of square notches, they are rounded, and you actually use a small screw that screws down and rests inside the rounded notch to lock the nut in place. I am familiar with spanner nuts, but I can't find anything online or get any help from any of the local parts places either on this nut. It has N11 stamped on the nut, so I assume it's similar to any regular N11 lock nut with the rounded notches being the difference?

I have to torque this nut when I put things back together, but I cannot figure out how or where to find a socket to fit the nut. I'm assuming I will have to use some type of socket in order to put my torque wrench on it. I am attaching pictures, but if anyone has any ideas on how to torque this nut or where I can get a socket that will work, I would greatly appreciate it.

Another thought would be to swap it out for a regular N11 locknut in which I can readily find the tools to install it with. My concern with making this small change is that any weight or thickness changes might alter the way the shaft spins causing me problems in the end? I'm not familiar enough with right turn swing gear boxes to know for certain. Anyway, this is a long first post, so thanks in advance for any help anyone might send my way to figure this out.

Attachments

• Top of Nut.JPG
    Top of Nut.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Bottom of Nut.JPG
    Bottom of Nut.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 21
Adjustable spanner wrench on a torque wrench ?

Welcome aboard HM also . :)

I think I can help with a makeshift solution.
Take a piece of plate.
Drill a center hole for a bolt of your choosing, that you can put a socket on.
Drill the plate from the center (mark them first before you drill any holes) Where screws can be put 180 degrees apart to just key into the notches.
if you want do four for four quadrents. drill and tap so the screws go thru and lock into those notches.
Use hardened bolts Grade 8 so that they stay the same size and don't collapse under pressure.

Or do the same but weld the rod in from the other side, just tack them in. your choice.

I considered this (the spanner wrench reply), but do you think the spanner wrench will hold in the rounded notches when torquing? The notches are not squared like the usual spanner lock nut.

I think I can help with a makeshift solution.
Take a piece of plate.
Drill a center hole for a bolt of your choosing, that you can put a socket on.
Drill the plate from the center (mark them first before you drill any holes) Where screws can be put 180 degrees apart to just key into the notches.
if you want do four for four quadrents. drill and tap so the screws go thru and lock into those notches.
Use hardened bolts Grade 8 so that they stay the same size and don't collapse under pressure.

Or do the same but weld the rod in from the other side, just tack them in. your choice.
I had considered making something, but was trying to come up with a way to alter a 3 inch socket, but your idea sounds better and easier, so thanks for that suggestion.

What kind of torque will you need to apply to this nut ? I’m assuming you have the manual for this crane .

What kind of torque will you need to apply to this nut ? I’m assuming you have the manual for this crane .
I just looked at the manual and it is only 5 lb-ft, so not much, but the manual gives no suggestion on how to accomplish this feat. This gear box is about 30 years old, so maybe it is an older technology that is no longer used?

Last edited:
That is a special nut. Obviously made to deter us common shadetrees. It looks like not only are those round but also tapered by comparing the front and back. I would turn a couple of tapered pins to fit those crenellations in the nut and weld them to a plate if you are worried about it. 5lbs ain’t much.

Back