Offset Milling Attachment

I had one of those in a pile of auction stuff once. They're designed to reach inside bores to cut keyways.

Interesting concept, but limited reach and wouldn’t expect it would be very robust/rigid.

the longest attachment on mine was 10" I think, to use 3/8" shank endmills. It's for a very specific task, so presumably what this tool allows you to do (cut internal keyways on a vertical mill) more than makes up for any deficiencies in rigidity.

the longest attachment on mine was 10" I think, to use 3/8" shank endmills. It's for a very specific task, so presumably what this tool allows you to do (cut internal keyways on a vertical mill) more than makes up for any deficiencies in rigidity.
More reach and capable than it looked from the patent sketch.

Use it many years ago to clean a weld bead from inside a alum box. Worked very well. Limited use, but for the right job very handy. Made me smile seeing it 30 years later.

That's a lot of setup and ties up a machine for something that can otherwise be done with a number of other approaches. While I like the idea of machining off a weld bead inside something kind of big, I wouldn't want to use anything that sacrifices so much rigidity and at the same time is expected to cut smoothly through when the work in question is a weld. Maybe it's good for some setups, I'm just not seeing it for the hobby shop.

Back