Oh No!

My wife had some knee work done. She was lucky to have been sent home with a set-up for icing the knee. It consisted of a little cooler filled with ice/water, a pump and a thin strap-on cooling thingy that went around the knee. She just plugged into the cooling tubes and switched it on. She was thrilled with it. Much better than trying to hold ice on knee.

Also, nothing wrong with being under Anastasia. ;)

Yea I read about that too. They call that Manipulation Under Anastasia
Yeh,had that done to me about 6 times after my motorcycle accedent back in 09',not much fun either when you wake up. I must stil get a knee and total hip replacement but my hip replacement is going to take a bit longer to heal. Seeing that my hip broke so bad that there is too much bone loss,I must get a bone transplant to fix the cup to. They only temporally fixed it and it looks like there is a bicycle chain in there to keep things together. The docters told me I would only be walking like that for about three years, August of this year I stand on 12 years. On top of this my pelvis was broken,leg broken,hand crushed,lost half my left index finger and about 20 bones broken in my hand and broken wrist........o my sole I just turned this into a pity party
:laughing:. I am just glad to be alive

My wife had some knee work done. She was lucky to have been sent home with a set-up for icing the knee. It consisted of a little cooler filled with ice/water, a pump and a thin strap-on cooling thingy that went around the knee. She just plugged into the cooling tubes and switched it on. She was thrilled with it. Much better than trying to hold ice on knee.

Also, nothing wrong with being under Anastasia. ;)
Or over Anastasia ----

Mark I was reading about a machine called the X10 therapy machine that has worked wonders for TKA patients it mechanically works your knee and keeps the degrees you bend your knee to get the range of motion as prescribed by you doctor/physical therapist. Range of motion is about the most important thing for getting back to normal, that and managing the pain, my doctors words not mine. A friend of mine had both knees done, he had bone on bone like me and he said it hurt like hell both times “ I was a hurting Bas##d for 3 weeks” man I hope not. he said it took a full year to get back to normal
CH

Yes, get one of those CPM (continuous passive motion) machines and use it whenever you sit, watch TV and lots (even if they tell you 'you don't need it"). The more you move your knee the better. I've seen some people nearly 100% in a month and others (like me) still healing after a year (I didn't want to spend the money on CPM, then only $400. Now on EBAY $400-$800.
But even though it's still stiff, there's NO PAIN!
Aaron

My wife has had total replacements in both knees in the past few years. As other folks have pointed out, it's very important
to follow your post op instructions to the letter. There will be pain, but it's necessary to use the knee and perform the exercises
they will give you. My wife used a CPM machine after the insurance stopped paying for it since it not only helps with range of
motion but it helped with pain relief. In the beginning, after surgery you will need to balance the rest you need with the activity
needed to regain range of motion. The good news is that it's all worth it in the end.

I've had both knees and one hip done so far. Later in the year I'm having a shoulder done (damn bar stools). The first knee was done in 2004 and it took close to 2 months before everything was back to normal. The second knee was done in 2012 and it only took a couple days before I could walk where I wanted to with a cane. Today it's more like out patient surgery, in at 7:00 AM, on your way home by 3:00 PM using a walker.

The local anesthetics last almost 2 days, so there's very little pain the first few days. If you follow their instructions to the letter you should be good to go and like new within a month. The most intense part is the physical therapy. It usually starts a week or so after the operation. It's done about 3 times a week at a facility, and daily at home. The object is to get full movement of the knee. One of the final tests as to your recovery is riding a stationary bike. If you can do it for 15 or 20 minutes with full extension and full flexing of the knee without cheating you're good to go.

Both my wife and I have gone to Mayo Clinic at Rochester MN for these types of replacement surgeries. They are the best and use the latest techniques. At first we were afraid of how expensive it would be. Luckily with our insurance it was less than we would have paid to have it done locally. There is the added expense of a hotel room and expenses to drive there, but all in all the experiences (5 so far) have been well worth the effort. I would highly recommend them if it's at all possible for you to get there.

Back