OHV Motorcycle Riding In California

The Honda is likely to have a QD rear wheel.....the chain and sprocket stay put,while the wheel and tyre come of after a few spacers and the axle are removed .

The Honda is likely to have a QD rear wheel.....the chain and sprocket stay put,while the wheel and tyre come of after a few spacers and the axle are removed .
John,
Thanks for the good information. I didn't try to disassemble it so likely you are right. For the time being, I will
leave it as is and do more looking at it come warmer spring weather. Thanks for the post!

John,
Thanks for the good information. I didn't try to disassemble it so likely you are right. For the time being, I will
leave it as is and do more looking at it come warmer spring weather. Thanks for the post!
the rear axle can be removed without breaking the chain!
i broke my chain anyway, but you don't have to.

Severing the chain sort of hinted at being a crime of some sort at the time. I did remove the front
sprocket and inspect it and reversed it on the spline as I could discern that the teeth were pulling
backward a tiny amount. The back sprocket looks to be at least 8 inches in diameter and I can see
no wear on that at all. I'm sure it will work as is until I get the feel of the gearing. After that I will
be free to change out the chain and gearing as I see fit. With less than 6000 miles on it and not
having been ridden hard, it will likely be runnable as is. The bike has no main stand so that makes it
somewhat difficult to remove the back wheel or front wheel for that matter. Maybe some sort of
metal rack would be needed for this bike so it is easier to work on.

Severing the chain sort of hinted at being a crime of some sort at the time. I did remove the front
sprocket and inspect it and reversed it on the spline as I could discern that the teeth were pulling
backward a tiny amount. The back sprocket looks to be at least 8 inches in diameter and I can see
no wear on that at all. I'm sure it will work as is until I get the feel of the gearing. After that I will
be free to change out the chain and gearing as I see fit. With less than 6000 miles on it and not
having been ridden hard, it will likely be runnable as is. The bike has no main stand so that makes it
somewhat difficult to remove the back wheel or front wheel for that matter. Maybe some sort of
metal rack would be needed for this bike so it is easier to work on.
without a center stand, you may wish to try a bucket to support the bike for service

This morning with a little time I made a 26mm hex wrench so I can adjust the chain on my Honda 250XL. It didn't
come with a tool kit and it is soon time to ride it. I wanted something similar to the original wrench that would fit
in my tool pouch, not the 1 1/8 socket and ratchet I have been using. It wasn't too difficult using the circle function
on the digital readout on the mill marking off six spots that would be the corners. I Started with a small rectangular piece
of 3/16 mild steel and roughed out the hex manually using an end mill. Then there was a bit of filing done to get a good fit
on the nut. After band sawing off the extra material. I welded on a piece of 1/8 inch hot roll material for the handle. After
grinding off the weld and cleaning it up a bit, I gave the P1030031.JPGwrench a coat of paint and called it done.

Took a ride today in the ice and slop for a half mile or so, running good but need to be able to
get to some open road for a good test ride. So far, so good on the old machine. ....

Back