Oil Groove Lathe Video

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Benny asked me to post this Video, I'm sure he'll add details to it[video=youtube_share;o1zahiE0-z8]http://youtu.be/o1zahiE0-z8[/video]

Is that your lathe Charley? And c'mon, you cant just post up that vid with nothing else!
Details man! Details!

Cheers Phil

It appears to be cam operated between the bed rails? Can you have Benny take a few more pictures of the mechanism that drives the saddle back and forth please. Thanks, Rich

Cool....Does Benny Make Bushings? Who is Benny?

Benny is me, I think, :nuts: and no I don’t make bushings. I had noticed a topic about how to cut the internal oil grooves in another forum and it caught my interest. While visiting family in Fort Worth during the Thanksgiving holidays I got to see the old machine in the video. It belongs to a friend that I worked with about 25 years ago. He has a machine shop that does all kinds of maintenance type machine work. He has an interesting collection of machines and adopted this machine and gave it a home among his planer, shaper, gear cutter (both shaper & hob), plus the usual manual and CNC machine shop tools. The original post is here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...eve-bearings-in-the-old-days?highlight=groove

It appears to be cam operated between the bed rails? Can you have Benny take a few more pictures of the mechanism that drives the saddle back and forth please. Thanks, Rich
Not sure how the carriage is moved. Gary, the owner, did mention that it could be adjusted to cut more than just the figure 8 grooves.

I can't take more pictures right now as I am back in Tennessee. I plan on being back in Fort Worth around Christmas and will ask Gary if I can come over and dig up more information on how it works. I would kind of like to know myself. Gary did mention that the machine was designed so that the tool bar on the carriage held a single point tool like a shaper but that he used a die grinder to cut the gooves since it is quicker.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Charley (and Benny) thanks for posting the video, I would guess the spindle speed to be around 20 RPM. It would have to be pretty slow to keep the carriage from self-destructing. Pretty cool!! Someone was quite imaginative...
Bob

So this thing cuts a small groove inside a bushing?

yes, there are some designs that need a valley for grease or oil. as a matter of fact a type of hamburger patty making machine i work on frequently has a bushing that has 8 criss crossing grooves on the i.d. that were formed then impregnated with carbon,then reamed to dimension. they work very well in moderate stress conditions where the operators forget to grease up. the carbon acts as a lubricant , and the shafts seem to wear nicely even after 100,000 cycles.:))

mike

Back