Oil Loss rate - South Bend 9 cast iron bearings

martik777

Active User
Registered
My spindle bearings were losing about 2-3 drops per hour of usage evidenced by drips down the side of the headstock, For the last week, there has been no oil loss, no leakage down the headstock and no drop in resevoir levels. The wicks are soaked and there is a film of oil on the bearing and it runs freely and is not getting warm at all. I am using 10w non detergent oil. What rate of oil loss is normal for these?

I'd be more concerned if it weren't "using" a little oil. As long as it has a good fit in the bearings, and doesn't get hot, I would not give it any thought. It's been a long time since I've run any SB lathe, but in general, for that type of bearing, it sounds fine to me. Others may have differing opinions.

Likely thicken or dried out oil has plugged your seep hole. Maybe some fibres from the wicks have moved down.

Yes, spindle has been out and everything was cleaned 2 months ago but the lack of oil loss started a week ago. I took it out again to check the wicks etc. Oil has always leaked down the side of the headstock since I have had the lathe. I did level it a week or so ago.......hmmmmmmmm maybe that's it...If it is more level now maybe the oil is just returning to the sump?

Back