[Newbie] Oil or grease?

lakedog

Registered
Registered
I am assembling my 9a South Bend. If I use grease to reassemble does that preclude oil for daily use?

I like oil. Metals cuttings tend to stick less. Assembly grease would be okay while you are putting it together but I would use oil for daily work.
Cheers
Martin

Grease should only be used in enclosed spaces meant for grease. For example, the drive gears under the apron for the cross slide might be greased if there is no oil port there. Grease on anything exposed will demonstrate how quickly ways can be worn out once chips bed in. But for the most part, oil is the way to go.

I would not use grease anywhere on a lathe, yes, it does attract chips, even in the most remote locations.

Grease stays where it's placed, one hopes, so it can be lightly applied to the OUTSIDE
of collets (never to the inside). I've also used grease on tailstock advance screw, and
it hasn't been a problem. Mainly, though, unless a lathe has babbit bearings, it's intended
to have oil almost everywhere. Including a stripe up the operator's shirt.

Follow the recommendations in the manual....

But where can I source Ronoco brand Illudium Pu-36 gamma-emitting polyphasic way oil? I bet the manual was written before the Sherman Antitrust Act and the Environmental Protection Act were drafted. And I'm still looking for moly-asbestos-infused white lead grease for the change gears...

But where can I source Ronoco brand Illudium Pu-36 gamma-emitting polyphasic way oil? I bet the manual was written before the Sherman Antitrust Act and the Environmental Protection Act were drafted. And I'm still looking for moly-asbestos-infused white lead grease for the change gears...
Pretty funny! Sorry, all I have is straight white lead, hold the asbestos --- Seriously, 'tho, I do have white lead in oil in small paint cans for $10 plus postage.

For comparison, the only place my atlas 10F calls for grease is the jackshaft pulleys.

The lathe itself calls for nothing but different grades of oil.

Back